[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder 7.0 question

thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Thomas Okken) (05/25/91)

I want to be able to drag StuffIt 1.5.1 archives onto Compact Pro (or MacWrite
files onto MS Word, etc). In IM6, chapter 9, I read you have to:

 - Add FREF resources for all file types the app can open
 - Clear the app's Inited bit
 - Rebuild the desktop

So, I added a FREF resource with ID 130, for file type 'SIT!', with local ID 2;
I modified the BNDL resource (added a reference to the FREF with local ID 2
and resource ID 130), cleared Compact Pro's Inited bit, and rebooted with
Cmd&Option pressed.
It doesn't work! Nowhere in IM6 can I find any explanation for this. A few
days ago someone else also posted something about this problem, and one
answer was posted pointing out you need to rebuild the desktop. Well, I did
that, but still no dice. Is there someone out there who did get this to work
who could give me (or post) a step-by-step guide how to accomplish this?
And while you're at it, what on earth does the Inited bit do?
Thanks!

 - Thomas (thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl)

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/27/91)

   From: thomas@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Thomas Okken)

    - Add FREF resources for all file types the app can open

   So, I added a FREF resource with ID 130, for file type 'SIT!', with
   local ID 2;
   I modified the BNDL resource (added a reference to the FREF with local ID 2
   and resource ID 130), cleared Compact Pro's Inited bit, and rebooted with
   Cmd&Option pressed.

Maybe you need an icon as well ?

Or you can add the wildcard type ?

   And while you're at it, what on earth does the Inited bit do?

It's set by the finder when the finder knows it's seen the icon
to say "this one's Okay, no need bother..."

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/08/91)

In article <1991May25.225831.6250@news.media.mit.edu> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:

>Chech out the init "Understudy".  It's at sumex.  The latest version adds the
>ability to do all this, and it doesn't make any permanent modifications, so
>you can just turn it off.

I have discovered a minor problem with Understudy.  It's possible that the
information you add with Understudy will get permanently stored in the
desktop database.

For example, suppose you use Understudy to allow you to drop StuffIt files
on Compact Pro.

If you then copy Compact Pro to another volume, the information about which
types can be dropped on the app will be copied as well, and will include
information about StuffIt documents.  If you then disable Understudy, you
would still be able to drop StuffIt documents on Compact Pro.  You would
have to rebuild the desktop database to get rid of that information.

This is should be only a minor inconvenience because it only affects the
desktop database and not the actual application.  It will be fixed in the
next version of Understudy.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com