[comp.sys.mac.system] Speeding up a Classic running 7.0

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (06/07/91)

Ok, now that we've all played with 7.0, does anyone know how to speed up
performance on a Classic?  I've a Classic 4/External 105 and EVERYTHING
takes longer in 7.0.  I haven't had time to check any cache settings and
do benchmark trials.  I'm hoping one of you industrious netters have already
done this and is willing to pass along some tips.

Posting would probably be best to benefit all.  However, I will post a summary
of any replies I get.

  Any major Dude will tell ya! -- Donald Fagan
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.033057.22615@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu
(Robert Cook) writes:
> Ok, now that we've all played with 7.0, does anyone know how to speed up
> performance on a Classic?  I've a Classic 4/External 105 and EVERYTHING
> takes longer in 7.0.  I haven't had time to check any cache settings and
> do benchmark trials.  I'm hoping one of you industrious netters have
> already done this and is willing to pass along some tips.

I've seen this happen to several people here at NU - they install System 7
on top of their old System 6, and immediately notice an incredible
slowdown in everything from opening Finder folder windows to running apps,
plus in some cases (but not all) lots of mysterious bad crashes at random
times. In all the cases, reinstalling a fresh clean System 7 folder and
then dragging over old prefs files, INITs, DAs, fonts, etc. solved the
problem completely.

I have no idea what the precise cause of this problem might be, but I'm
convinced by the evidence I've seen and heard that there is indeed a
problem, at least for some people, in installing System 7 on top of System
6. I'm recommending to everybody here that they go through the more
laborious process of starting with a fresh virgin System 7 System Folder.

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it might. I hope so.

My experience is that System 7, if anything, is a bit faster and more stable
than System 6 for most operations, on all Mac models.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
j-norstad@nwu.edu