[comp.sys.mac.system] optimising under System 7

dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) (06/02/91)

Using two hard disks - the internal 40 and an external 70 - I'd got into
the habit of running my MacTools Optimiser regularly to defragment 'em.

System 7 tells me I have to contact the developer, so I did (calling the US
is kinda costly, too!) They told me that they're 'working on it', and no,
they couldn't tell me when an upgrade would be ready, and no, they couldn't
take an order, either.

Could some guru please tell me whether the sky will fall in if I boot from a
floppy, run Optimiser on my HDs from 6.0.7 using the floppy and rebuild
the system 7.0 desktop when I reboot from the - usual - HD? Will 7.0 do
something evil to my hard disks if they're optimised like that?

Finally, /is/ there an optimising program which runs under 7.0?

Many thanks!

- duncan

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (06/07/91)

In article <7735@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:

>Finally, /is/ there an optimising program which runs under 7.0?

Yes - DiskExpress II (v2.07) works very well under 7.0.

>Many thanks!
>
>- duncan

You're welcome.
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/08/91)

In article <7735@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:
>Finally, /is/ there an optimising program which runs under 7.0?

 For my 7.0 hard disk, I use the Mactools 1.0 Optimizer booted from a 6.0.7
 floppy. I have had no problems as yet. Should I expect some?

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/08/91)

In article <7735@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:
>Finally, /is/ there an optimising program which runs under 7.0?

Norton Speed Disk fits on an HD minimal floppy and works as well
under 7.0 as it did under 6.0.x.  I would avoid using programs
or features that mark bad-sectors:  7.0 does this on the fly and
could be incompatible.  I am likewise avoiding the rest of the
utilities until I hear something definite from Symantec/Norton.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)