[comp.sys.mac.system] Why did my DA's suddenly stop running?

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (06/07/91)

I've been happily using my IIfx for a long time now.  I'm not sure when
this started, but now none of my DA's will launch.  The system just beeps.
What's it complaining about.

Could it be because my System Folder now contains a "DA Handler" that
is a 'document' -- no system icon?

Anyway, this is a problem under Multifinder only, System 6.0.5, 4MB RAM,
even if I ditch all INITs (even Gatekeeper), and rebuild the desktop.

Wha hoppen?
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

In article <1363@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>I've been happily using my IIfx for a long time now.  I'm not sure when
>this started, but now none of my DA's will launch.  The system just beeps.
>What's it complaining about.
>
>Could it be because my System Folder now contains a "DA Handler" that
>is a 'document' -- no system icon?

#define FLAME mild
I don't suppose you even CONSIDERED trying to replace the DA Handler with
a good copy before asking the entire NET?
#undef FLAME

Yes.  This is a FAQ, I think.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/08/91)

In article <1363@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>I've been happily using my IIfx for a long time now.  I'm not sure when
>this started, but now none of my DA's will launch.  The system just beeps.
>What's it complaining about.
>
>Could it be because my System Folder now contains a "DA Handler" that
>is a 'document' -- no system icon?
>
>Anyway, this is a problem under Multifinder only, System 6.0.5, 4MB RAM,
>even if I ditch all INITs (even Gatekeeper), and rebuild the desktop.

DA Handler is required when running DA's under MultiFinder. From
your description, it sounds like your DA Handler is busted. When
the System can't run DA Handler, it informs you by beeping (pretty
good for a company that prides itself on its user interfaces, eh?).

Try restoring your DA Handler from floppy.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo