[comp.sys.mac.system] About the Finder...

jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) (05/24/91)

[blah]

> Now for the neat feature of the finder:  In the Finder, hold down the Option
> key, Pull down the Apple Menu and select About the Finder...  What you will
> see is the original About the Finder picture.  Kinda neat.

[blah]

        Hold down the Command key (or Cloverleaf or Propellor, or whatever
*you* like to call it) as well, and you get a cute little smiley cursor
with it's tongue sticking out.  Until you press the mouse button that is!

        I'm beginning to wonder how much time Apple engineers spend
exercising their senses of humour by implementing little "features" such as
these.  Not that I mind at all ...

                                John

timothy@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Mr. Timothy Bates) (05/24/91)

> Now for the neat feature of the finder:  In the Finder, hold down the Option
> key, Pull down the Apple Menu and select About the Finder...  What you will
> see is the original About the Finder picture.  Kinda neat.

[blah]

>        Hold down the Command key (or Cloverleaf or Propellor, or whatever
>*you* like to call it) as well, and you get a cute little smiley cursor
>with it's tongue sticking out.  Until you press the mouse button that is!

Just keep watching and you get to read the name of every finder-team developer right back to the lisa desktop manager team.

timothy@ccu1.aukuni.ak.nz

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/24/91)

In article <799@spam.ua.oz>, jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) writes:

|>         Hold down the Command key (or Cloverleaf or Propellor, or whatever
|> *you* like to call it) as well, and you get a cute little smiley cursor
|> with it's tongue sticking out.  Until you press the mouse button that is!
|>
|>         I'm beginning to wonder how much time Apple engineers spend
|> exercising their senses of humour by implementing little "features" such as
|> these.  Not that I mind at all ...

I strongly appreciate these neat little goodies. They cheer you up when the
weather is bad, the boss is in a bad mood or anything.
It makes the mac a more human machine. I don't want to have to work with
windows 3 those certain days, but who does?
BTW, where is the neat colour picture showing the mac's developers team
gone on the IIsi?

Oliver.

--- Sorry, no .sign

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (05/24/91)

In article <799@spam.ua.oz>, jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) writes:
> [blah]
>
> > Now for the neat feature of the finder:  In the Finder, hold down the Option
> > key, Pull down the Apple Menu and select About the Finder...  What you will
> > see is the original About the Finder picture.  Kinda neat.
>
>         Hold down the Command key (or Cloverleaf or Propellor, or whatever
> *you* like to call it) as well, and you get a cute little smiley cursor
> with it's tongue sticking out.  Until you press the mouse button that is!

I keep seeing mention of these goodies, but all I can get is the mountains
pictures when I hold down the option key and select About the Finder.  I
doesn't seem to ever scroll and I can't the smiley face.  Does this have
something to do with the fact that I chose a machine specific system
(Mac IIfx only software) while installing?

I agree with the sentiment expressed in many posts that while not the least
bit necessary, these little Easter eggs keep the Mac fun.

--Russell

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (05/25/91)

In article <23591@natinst.natinst.com> davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) writes:

>I keep seeing mention of these goodies, but all I can get is the mountains
>pictures when I hold down the option key and select About the Finder.  I
>doesn't seem to ever scroll and I can't the smiley face.  Does this have
>something to do with the fact that I chose a machine specific system
>(Mac IIfx only software) while installing?

I think you just hit the nail on the head for this one.  My co-worker has the same
setup as mine ( IIci with 8MB RAM and an 80 MB HD ) and he gets the smiley face
and the scrolling list of people.  The only difference between the machines is that
when we installed the System 7 software, I did it for IIci only and he did it for
all Macintosh computers.  I haven't re-installed my system yet, but I'm putting
10 to 1 odds that you're right.

Brian Moore
DCO Macintosh Consultant
ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu

jfw@neuro (John F. Whitehead) (05/25/91)

In article <23591@natinst.natinst.com> davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) writes:
>I keep seeing mention of these goodies, but all I can get is the mountains
>pictures when I hold down the option key and select About the Finder.  I
>doesn't seem to ever scroll and I can't the smiley face.

Make sure you let go of the mouse button before you let go of the
command/option keys when selecting "about the finder".

    John Whitehead                     Internet:  jfw@neuro.duke.edu
    Department of Neurobiology                    jfw@well.sf.ca.us
    Duke University Medical Center     Bitnet:    white002@dukemc
    Durham, North Carolina

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.173144.17255@zip.eecs.umich.edu> ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:
>In article <23591@natinst.natinst.com> davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) writes:
>>
>>I keep seeing mention of these goodies, but all I can get is the mountains
>>pictures when I hold down the option key and select About the Finder.  I
>>doesn't seem to ever scroll and I can't the smiley face.  Does this have
>>something to do with the fact that I chose a machine specific system
>>(Mac IIfx only software) while installing?
>>

>I think you just hit the nail on the head for this one.  My co-worker has the same
>setup as mine ( IIci with 8MB RAM and an 80 MB HD ) and he gets the smiley face
>and the scrolling list of people.  The only difference between the machines is that
>when we installed the System 7 software, I did it for IIci only and he did it for
>all Macintosh computers.  I haven't re-installed my system yet, but I'm putting
>10 to 1 odds that you're right.

You might lose that bet. I alway do an "Easy Install", but I don't get
the extra goodies either.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/25/91)

In article <53329@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>[I don't get]
>the extra goodies either.

I guess something went terribly wrong with those extra goodies...
Maybe they just get installed by chance?
I've installed a "complete" system on my fx, and they are not there.
I've also installed a "minimal every mac" system on a cartridge, and they
are there. (I don't get colour icons on that however).

One more dirty trick? ;-)

And if Keith doesn't know, then who does?

Oliver. (the very tired one. Hacking Sys 7 all day and night ;-))

--- no .sign of help?

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.163954.18774@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:
>In article <53329@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>
>>[I don't get]
>>the extra goodies either.
>
>I guess something went terribly wrong with those extra goodies...
>Maybe they just get installed by chance?
>I've installed a "complete" system on my fx, and they are not there.
>I've also installed a "minimal every mac" system on a cartridge, and they
>are there. (I don't get colour icons on that however).
>
>One more dirty trick? ;-)
>
>And if Keith doesn't know, then who does?

This sounded like too much of a challenge to pass up.  :-)

In case you, the reader, haven't been following this thread, the "extra
goodies" are those things you get when you hold down the Option or
Command-Option keys when bringing up "About Finder".  Specifically, you
should get the Paul Mercer Happy Face for an icon and a scrolling list
of credits along the bottom of the dialog box.  Well, I and a few
others weren't getting those goodies, and I wanted to know why.

The short answer of the story (which took about 4 hours because of a
wrong turn I made) is that the creation date of your "Desktop Folder"
needs to be after 5/13/91, 12:00AM. I used MPW to verify that my
Desktop folder had been created before then, and to set it to 5/14/91.
If you don't have MPW, but know how to use a disk editor, set the
creation date to $A4538781 or greater.

Or, you could reboot under System 6.0.x, throw away the Desktop folder,
and reboot under System 7.0.

BTW: has anyone seen CODE(6) from my Finder? I seem to be missing it...

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (05/26/91)

jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) writes:

JN>  Hold down the Command key (or Cloverleaf or Propellor, or whatever
JN> *you* like to call it) as well, and you get a cute little smiley
JN> cursor with it's tongue sticking out. Until you press the mouse
JN> button that is!
JN>  I'm beginning to wonder how much time Apple engineers spend
JN> exercising their senses of humour by implementing little "features"
JN> such as these. Not that I mind at all ...

I'm not so sure I agree.  If every engineer at Apple decided he had a neat little hack like that to stick in, and it only took 3K extra to implement, I have a feeling that the Finder alone would exceed the RAM limits of my Plus.

C'mon, Apple, stop acting like silly little boys.  I don't need that extra "cute" code sitting around, taking up space on my HD or in my System heap.  Every little bit counts.  (Did anyone currently at Apple ever read Steven Levy's _Hackers?_  Probably not.)  I would appreciate as lean an operating system as possible, while still providing all the benefits you've decided to provide.  Some of us are still using (and some are still _buying_) Macs with a 4 meg limit on RAM.  Every byte counts, and if I could

save even 15K by excluding the cute cmd-opt-shift-tab-space bar-clear "hey, look at my name up in lights" features, I'm for it.  I personally don't give a diddly-squat about the Lisa development team.  I sure as hell don't want them taking up even a few bytes of precious space in my limited system.

Grow up, Apple.  Realize your responsibilities to your users in this respect, if not others.

(BTW, I hope this settles any question of who's a "butt-kissing apologist for Apple" around here.  They get their lumps from me when I deem it necessary.)

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/27/91)

In article <53347@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>In case you, the reader, haven't been following this thread, the "extra
>goodies" are those things you get when you hold down the Option or
>Command-Option keys when bringing up "About Finder".  Specifically, you
>should get the Paul Mercer Happy Face for an icon and a scrolling list
>of credits along the bottom of the dialog box.  Well, I and a few
>others weren't getting those goodies, and I wanted to know why.

Well done, Keith.  I think I should follow the rules next time and not install
the new baby before it's time... ;-) It was not my fault however, I tried the
trick with the color pict of the mac engineers some weeks ago and forgot to
switch to the current date again. Meanwhile there has been a major system
upgrade from my computers vendor, you know...

Have fun, I really have!

Oliver.

--- no .sign found.

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (05/29/91)

In article <53329@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>You might lose that bet. I alway do an "Easy Install", but I don't get
>the extra goodies either.

My guess is that if you installed System 7 final over a beta version of
System 7, then you don't get the neat Finder features.  I've installed
System 7 on 3 machines (using Easy Install), and the only machine that has
the secret features is the one that never had System 7 on it before.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/29/91)

In article <270792.2841D1B1@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes...
> C'mon, Apple, stop acting like silly little boys.  I don't need that extra
> "cute" code sitting around... [deleted]

 I disagree. It's little things like the About the Finder... and the Monitors
 Easter Eggs that make the Mac a fun machine! Stuffy computers are boring. The
 little Monitors popup still makes me chuckle.

 Now I'll grant you that this must be balanced against code size and potential
 side effects, but the little things I've seen hardly seem excessive.

 Nice job on 7.0, Apple! Now about that Imagewriter print spooling...

 BTW, Adam, you might consider putting carriage returns in your postings.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (05/29/91)

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

[Whining about Apple wasting disk space with these 'cute' features
deleted. btw, Adam, if you could figure out how to use the return key,
or fix your version of sendmail or whatever you use, I'm sure lots of
people would appreciate it.]

>Grow up, Apple.  Realize your responsibilities to your users in this respect,
>if not others.

Personally, the day Apple systems engineers *stop* putting code like
this into their programs is the day I become completely convinced that
Apple has gone the way of the dinosaurs. Or at the very least that all
innovation in the company has been snuffed out by the grinding heel of
bureaucracy.

So, to Apple's engineers: Keep up the good work!
To Apple's lawyers and bean-counters: Keep your nose out of their
                                      business!

>(BTW, I hope this settles any question of who's a "butt-kissing apologist
>for Apple" around here.  They get their lumps from me when I deem it
>necessary.)

Yes, you've convinced me that you're not a 'butt-kissing apologist'.
'Bureaucratically Inclined' comes to mind. You aren't, by chance, a
lawyer?

Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (05/29/91)

In article <270792.2841D1B1@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>I'm not so sure I agree.  If every engineer at Apple decided he had a neat
>little hack like that to stick in, and it only took 3K extra to implement,
>I have a feeling that the Finder alone would exceed the RAM limits of my Plus.
>
>C'mon, Apple, stop acting like silly little boys.  I don't need that extra
>"cute" code sitting around, taking up space on my HD or in my System heap.
>Every little bit counts.  (Did anyone currently at Apple ever read Steven
>Levy's _Hackers?_  Probably not.)  I would appreciate as lean an operating
>system as possible, while still providing all the benefits you've decided to
>provide.  Some of us are still using (and some are still _buying_) Macs with
>a 4 meg limit on RAM.  Every byte counts, and if I could save even 15K by
>excluding the cute cmd-opt-shift-tab-space bar-clear "hey, look at my name up
>in lights" features, I'm for it.  I personally don't give a diddly-squat
>about the Lisa development team.  I sure as hell don't want them taking up
>even a few bytes of precious space in my limited system.
>
>Grow up, Apple.  Realize your responsibilities to your users in this respect,
>if not others.

My, my, my.  Didn't WE get up on the wrong side of the bed this decade.

As humorless and appallingly grim and serious as you appear to be, it is a
mystery to me how you have the strength to face life in this horrible world
of ours where evil irresponsible software engineers have the gall to waste
_your_ precious RAM with trivial goodies without _any_ serious redeeming
business purpose.

It seems to me that it is a sign of creativity and corporate mental health
that Apple's engineers feel free to make jokes of this sort.  You speak of 3K
here and there eventually eating up all your RAM.  Do you _really_ think the
Apple engineers are stupid enough to let jokes adversely affect the power and
performance of their work?  Anyway, I suspect that most of the space occupied
is on disk, not in memory.

Lighten up a little, OK?   We're supposed to be having fun here.

            "Life is much too important to be taken seriously."

                 (I don't know who said it first)

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/29/91)

[...]

Gee, I guess you don't appreciate at all the fact that System 7 runs
just fine on a Mac Plus. A machine Apple doesn't even MAKE any more.

It runs fine because over 100 people cared about all the Plus owners
enough to make it happen. They performance-tuned and memory-minimized
it to make it happen.

And we're not talking about "somewhat compatible" here. Although you
can't use System 7 virtual memory, you can use Balloon Help, Aliases,
True Type, the Edition Manager (Publish/Subscribe), and Personal
FileSharing just fine on your Plus.

You know any other company that does this? That has this kind of
"responsibility to its users"?

You could also get this VAST improvement in functionality for LITTLE
or NO COST. Or if you do pay the very reasonable list price, you get
full dealer support and toll-free phone support from Apple.

You know any other computer maker that does THIS?
C'mon, there must be ONE out there!

Grow up, Mr Frix. Apple has an incredibly high standard for
"responsibility to its users." Even you.

bill coderre
I take two lumps in my tea, thank you!

ps. your argument about "special features" taking up extra memory is
fallacious. Although they might be on disk, they aren't loaded into
your precious heap until they are USED.

pps. I am not an Apple spokesman and post in my spare time, out of my
own personal "responsibility to users." My posting is neither
sanctioned nor recompensed.

jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) (05/29/91)

[millions of characters about the good/evil of "cute" code]

        Oops.  Is this the first flame war I have ever (unintentionally or
otherwise) started?  I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

        But seriously folks, what's all this about "Monitors Easter Eggs"?

                                John

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/29/91)

In article <13681@goofy.Apple.COM>, lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
|> In article <53329@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

|> My guess is that if you installed System 7 final over a beta version of
|> System 7, then you don't get the neat Finder features.  I've installed
|> System 7 on 3 machines (using Easy Install), and the only machine that has
|> the secret features is the one that never had System 7 on it before.

Keith said a few postings ago, that it depends on the creation date of the
Desktop Folder to be 05/13/91 12AM or later. I checked mine today and
its creation date is something August 1992! But I still don't get the
goodies.
I am glad that the engineers at Apple "waste" their time making these
cute little goodies. If they wouldn't how would *I* waste *my* time? ;-)

And, yes, we are supposed to have some fun here.

Oliver.

--- I saw the .sign!

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (05/30/91)

In article <draphsor.675466330@elaine39.Stanford.EDU> draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:
>Personally, the day Apple systems engineers *stop* putting code like
>this into their programs is the day I become completely convinced that
>Apple has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

I wholeheartedly agree on this.  Because of the hidden dialog
boxes and such, I find that using the Mac has been that much more
enjoyable to work with.  If "stupid code" like the mountains were
taken out, I might as well use an IBM PC.  Oh, wait--if you've
got Windows 3.0, try this:
	go to the program manager's screen,
	type "WIN3" with F3 pressed like the Shift key,
	type backspace

Perhaps Microsoft wants to be cute too.  Nevertheless, I have
great respect for a company that engraves the developers'
signatures inside their product's case.  Yeah, it's frivolous and
maybe not too many people will see it; but it's the principle that
counts.  I don't want a computer with no "personality."

Shit, if you're gonna complain about wasting the size of code
(this isn't directed at you, Matt), start with the people writing
the compilers and developers--tell them to use assembler
instead!!

Ken

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (05/31/91)

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:

MR> Yes, you've convinced me that you're not a 'butt-kissing apologist'.
MR> 'Bureaucratically Inclined' comes to mind. You aren't, by chance,
MR> a lawyer?

From a long line of them, and not yet.  And I'm glad to see that
I'm still in the "Inclined" column, and not yet in the
"severely-minded" column.

I don't object to the simple existence of these cute items;
however, in a severely RAM-limited environment like a Plus or
Classic (and it won't be long before the 10 meg limit on the LC
will seem crowded), every byte counts.  If you want the cutesies
on your 128MB fx with the 660MB Wren Runner, fine.  On my Plus
w/40 meg Quantum (there are still bunches of these previously
expensive systems in use, and even Apple is selling a Classic
2/40), spare me the 20 bytes that each cutesie costs in RAM and
couple of K it costs in disk space.  Give me that space to be
productive in, not to watch Apple's moving pictures in.

--Adam--

--

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (06/03/91)

In <277725.28489468@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:

[]

>From a long line of them, and not yet.  And I'm glad to see that
>I'm still in the "Inclined" column, and not yet in the
>"severely-minded" column.

>I don't object to the simple existence of these cute items;
>however, in a severely RAM-limited environment like a Plus or
>Classic (and it won't be long before the 10 meg limit on the LC
>will seem crowded), every byte counts.  If you want the cutesies
>on your 128MB fx with the 660MB Wren Runner, fine.  On my Plus
>w/40 meg Quantum (there are still bunches of these previously
>expensive systems in use, and even Apple is selling a Classic
>2/40), spare me the 20 bytes that each cutesie costs in RAM and
>couple of K it costs in disk space.  Give me that space to be
>productive in, not to watch Apple's moving pictures in.

>--Adam--

Well, we REAL computer users prefer our computer applications to
be short-and-sweet -- the utility is designed what it's supposed to do.

However.....a majority of the computer market doesn't know a bit from a byte.
I'm talking about business people, students, and every other joe out there.
The only thing they see with a computer is the pretty graphics and
intuitive graphic features.  When they see a cutesy graphic, they tend
to get its meaning (they get cute and happy).

Computer users are efficiency maniacs.   We dont care for the wasting
'extras'.

The person that decides these 'extras' is Apple.  They feel these 'extras'
should be kept.  There is far too many businesses to get contracts with,
compared to the every-day run-of-the-mill computer guru.

>--
>Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH

---
   FACT:  the Nebraska Cornhuskers                           Phil Dietz
          signed a contract to lose the        231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
          big games!  Yes, it's true!                 Univ. of Nebraska

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (06/03/91)

In article <231b3678.675916965@fergvax> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>Well, we REAL computer users prefer our computer applications to
>be short-and-sweet -- the utility is designed what it's supposed to do.

Speak for yourself. I enjoy all of the little extras. They keep the computer
interesting. I spend at least 8 hours a day sitting in front of this machine,
and the last thing I want is a stripped-down bare-bones computer with no
personality. If I wanted that, I'd be running MS-DOS. :-)

>Computer users are efficiency maniacs.   We dont care for the wasting
>'extras'.

Again, this is patently false, unless you want to classify all of those
UNIX X-Windows users as "every other joe out there." I imagine there
would be some people from M.I.T. who'd like to talk to you about that :-)
Check out the number of "wasting 'extras'" that have been created for use
under X-Windows, and ask yourself "Why?"
Come on, not every computer user is a humorless speed addict. Some of us
still enjoy using the machine. Try and remember that you don't have to
be bored to be doing work.

>   FACT:  the Nebraska Cornhuskers                           Phil Dietz

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (06/04/91)

This thread seems to (now) have two opposing and unyielding points of view:

1:  "I enjoy all of the little extras [cutesy pictures, names, etc, hidden
     in Apple software.]  They're fun.  Leave them in."

2:  "I don't want that silliness cluttering up my machine.  Get them out."

Peace.  It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  How about this:
Apple puts the cutesies in, together with a "REMOVE CUTESIES" button
that destroys them or a "DON'T INSTALL CUTESIES" button in the installer?

Apple has the technology to do that. :)

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (06/04/91)

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.151324.5115@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) writes:
|Check out the number of "wasting 'extras'" that have been created for use
|under X-Windows, and ask yourself "Why?"

Of course the difference between all of the cute X stuff and the cute
Finder stuff is that the cute X stuff is optional.  If I don't want it,
I don't grab it, or if I have it and decide I need the disk space for
something more important, I can just delete it.

|Come on, not every computer user is a humorless speed addict. Some of us
|still enjoy using the machine. Try and remember that you don't have to
|be bored to be doing work.

And try and remember that not everyone has the attention span of a 2 year
old and needs flashing lights and ringing bells to get work done.  I have
nothing against the flashing lights and ringing bells, as long as I can
get rid of them if I don't want them.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (06/08/91)

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) writes:

AR> Peace. It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. How about
AR> this: Apple puts the cutesies in, together with a "REMOVE CUTESIES"
AR> button that destroys them or a "DON'T INSTALL CUTESIES" button
AR> in the installer?

Fantastic idea.

I'll reiterate:  the existence of these cutesies doesn't bother me.  The existence of these cutesies on MY machine, with its limited RAM, processing power, and disk space, bothers me.  Let me take them off, Apple.  Please.  If you think that makes me a stuffed blue shirt, so be it.  Let me be a stuffed blue shirt.  Don't decide for me that I shouldn't be that.

--Adam--

*  "...it was a lot easier to train a pilot to pick up         *
*   a rock, than train a scientist to land on the moon."       *
*   --Mark Berent, in _Steel Tiger_                            *
*  CIS: 70721,504                                              *
*  America OnLine: AdamFrix                                    *
*  Internet: Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG             *