[comp.sys.mac.system] erratic mouse

heddle@clas01.cebaf.gov (David Heddle) (05/27/91)

Dear friends:

Sorry to interrupt all the system 7.0 talk with a mundane question,
but I'm slowly going mad.

The trouble is my mouse (more precisely, the cursor) jumps (about 20
pixels) every now and then. This happens both at home and at work where
I have virtually identical systems:

          Mac IIci
	  System 7.0

however I'm sure it's not a system 7.0 problem -- the same thing was
happening under 6.05. I was hoping it would disappear under 7.0.

I am  an anti-init type -- I have tried permutations on the few that
I do have -- with no luck. Anyway, somethings I have that may be
causing trouble:

	MacTCP
	NCSA Telnet
	AfterDark 2.0
	Norton Utilities
	Public Folder
	Broadcast

Has anybody else experienced this? (Also -- I have done my n'th
blood test with the latest virus detection stuff -- no virusus were
found.)

cheers,

dph

leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.143522.18018@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> heddle@clas01.cebaf.gov (David Heddle) writes:
>Dear friends:
>
>Sorry to interrupt all the system 7.0 talk with a mundane question,
>but I'm slowly going mad.
>
>The trouble is my mouse (more precisely, the cursor) jumps (about 20
>pixels) every now and then. This happens both at home and at work where
>I have virtually identical systems:

I noticed this on my IIsi after updating to 7.0, but I figured it was a bad
mouse (the IIsi is fairly new) and I was going to return the mouse.
But then I helped a friend install 7.0 on his standard II and his started
doing the same thing.
The mouse will jump backwards and forwards, sometimes completely negating
the physical movement of the mouse. It seems more pronounced horizontally
than vertically as well.

Anyone? Anyone?
Thanks!

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (06/01/91)

leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens) writes:

JL> I noticed this on my IIsi after updating to 7.0, but I figured it was a bad
JL> mouse (the IIsi is fairly new) and I was going to return the mouse.
JL> But then I helped a friend install 7.0 on his standard II and his started
JL> doing the same thing.
JL> The mouse will jump backwards and forwards, sometimes completely negating
JL> the physical movement of the mouse. It seems more pronounced horizontally
JL> than vertically as well.
JL>
JL> Anyone? Anyone?

   Me too! Everyone kept telling me to clean it, but that didn't help...

 * Origin: "Each to his point of bliss"  -- Browning (1:109/421.4218)

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) (06/03/91)

From article <17508@chaph.usc.edu>, by leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens):
>>The trouble is my mouse (more precisely, the cursor) jumps (about 20
>>pixels) every now and then. This happens both at home and at work where
>>I have virtually identical systems:
>
> I noticed this on my IIsi after updating to 7.0, but I figured it was a bad

The cx that this is happening on here had the problem with 6.0.7 as well
as with system 7.

Jim

m_herodotus@csc32.enet.dec.com (Mario Herodotus) (06/08/91)

--In article <1991Jun3.144950.21291@hubcap.clemson.edu>, jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) writes:

>From article <17508@chaph.usc.edu>, by leavens@aludra.usc.edu (Justin Leavens):
>>>The trouble is my mouse (more precisely, the cursor) jumps (about 20
>>>pixels) every now and then. This happens both at home and at work where
>>>I have virtually identical systems:
>>
>> I noticed this on my IIsi after updating to 7.0, but I figured it was a bad
>
>The cx that this is happening on here had the problem with 6.0.7 as well
>as with system 7.
>
>Jim

	I have the same problem on a cx running 6.0.7.  The problem didn't start
though until after I upgraded my 45meg sysquest to 7.0 and let it rebuild the
6.0.7 system disk.  when I use the system it is mostly with 6.0.7 and no disk in
the syquest drive.  I wonder if something is being done by 7.0?

Mario

     I can't afford my own opinions, and DEC won't pay for them either.
Mario Herodotus   [ CX03 1/K3 ] |        m_herodotus@coors.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation   |
Customer Support Center         | - or - m_herodotus%coors.dec@decwrl.dec.com
305 Rockrimmon Blvd.            |
Colorado Springs, CO 80919      | - or - ...!decwrl!coors.dec.com!m_herodotus

(800) 525-6570  Ext 25520       | - or - CSC32::M_HERODOTUS
[direct line (719) 592-5520]    |