[comp.sys.mac.system] Spurious disk insertion requests in System 7

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (06/07/91)

I, too, have had my otherwise rapt adoration of System 7 disrupted
from time to time by inappropriate requests to insert floppies that I
just ejected. (In fact, in Apple File Exchange, it was an endless
loop).

One thing that I've noticed: It seems that whenever the system asks me
to re-insert a disk when I don't really think it should be asking for
it, the modal dialog box is drawn in black-and white, in the style of
System 6 and earlier. At the times when I really expect to be asked
for a disk, the dialog box uses the new colors. I'm wondering if this
provides any insight into the nature of the problem to those who are
(hopefully) working on correcting it. Could it be some old routines
that weren't overriden properly? System 6 zombies stalking my system
heap...

--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.195119.15493@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) writes...
>I, too, have had my otherwise rapt adoration of System 7 disrupted
>from time to time by inappropriate requests to insert floppies that I
>just ejected. (In fact, in Apple File Exchange, it was an endless
>loop).

 I get this too. If I dismiss the "Please insert..." dialog with a
 Pretzel-Dot, I get "The Disk <BDBD> could not be used because it is not in
 any drive". Yeah, no kidding. Followed by "Please insert...". This usually
 ends up being an endless loop, so I just punch the reset switch.

 Postscript: I don't care what Apple says, everyone should install the
 "Programmer's switch".

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (06/08/91)

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> I get this too. If I dismiss the "Please insert..." dialog with a
> Pretzel-Dot, I get "The Disk <BDBD> could not be used because it is not in
> any drive". Yeah, no kidding. Followed by "Please insert...". This usually
> ends up being an endless loop, so I just punch the reset switch.

I always get that box (The disk is not in any drive)
with OK highlighted, and click on it , the box
goes away, and i drag the disk to the trash. Once i tried inserting
the disk, and i don't remember what happened. I've _never_ had to
reboot because of this, it's the extremely buggy 'Force Quit' that i
have to reboot from... If these are the worst 7.0 bugs we're very
lucky, IMHO.

(Apple, that really neds to be fixed. Perhaps you
could give us MacsBug back, so we could 'G FINDER' and exit that way.)
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/08/91)

In article <kiran.676354366@copper>, kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes...
>long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>> I get this too. If I dismiss the "Please insert..." dialog with a
>> Pretzel-Dot, I get "The Disk <BDBD> could not be used because it is not in
>> any drive". Yeah, no kidding. Followed by "Please insert...". This usually
>> ends up being an endless loop, so I just punch the reset switch.
>
>I always get that box (The disk is not in any drive)
>with OK highlighted, and click on it , the box
>goes away, and i drag the disk to the trash.

 This isn't the same thing, then. For me, it's after I drag a bunch of floppy
 ICONs to the trash. For example, I'm storing a bunch of files from my hard
 disk into Compact Pro archives on various floppies, ejecting via the SFdialog
 as I go. After a while, I've built up quite a few grayed-out floppy ICONs on
 the desktop. I quit CP, switch back to the Finder, select all the floppy
 ICONs and drag them to the trash. Observe cute animation as they all go away.
 The Finder than asks for one back, and the behavior I noted above occurs.

 Tangents: Is there a key equivalent in SFdialog for Eject? I don't get 8-bit
 floppy ICONs either. Sigh.