[comp.sys.mac.system] My SE+7.0 seems like "molasses in January"?

banerd@bcars222.bnr.ca (Brad Banerd) (06/06/91)

I have an SE with 4M and recently tried out system 7.  I found that a test page of mine took 2min30sec to print on my laserwriter LS compared to 45sec under 6.0.7 .  I also found that the system even had trouble keeping up with fast typing in WP 2.0.1 .  I was forced to roll back to 6.0.7 in order avoid being throttled by my wife!

q.1 Why would system 7 be so slow? (cache was 128k,"regular" SE(ie"leaded"))
    Since few people seem to be mentioning speed as a problem could it be    something peculiar to my setup?  I would be delighted to find out that system 7.0 is useful to Macs without the 030.

q.2 Can system 7 do background printing for my LS?

Perhaps these are simple minded questions but the apple reps available to us
seem to be only a tiny bit ahead on the learning curve for 7.0

Thanks:  Brad

.

erik@hpsad.HP.COM (Erik Kilk) (06/07/91)

When I upgraded my 4 Meg SE to System 7 I hardly noticed any speed difference.
In fact, the only slowness I notice is the first couple of seconds after
TrueType gets a new font to render.  But this is worth it.

Erik Kilk

km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) (06/07/91)

Brad Banerd@bcars222.bnr writes:
>I have an SE with 4M and recently tried out system 7.  I found that a
test page
> of mine took 2min30sec to print on my laserwriter LS compared to 45sec
under 6
>.0.7 .  I also found that the system even had trouble keeping up with
fast typi
>ng in WP 2.0.1 .  I was forced to roll back to 6.0.7 in order avoid
being throt
>tled by my wife!
>
>q.1 Why would system 7 be so slow? (cache was 128k,"regular" SE(ie"leaded"))
>    Since few people seem to be mentioning speed as a problem could it
be    so
>mething peculiar to my setup?  I would be delighted to find out that
system 7.0
> is useful to Macs without the 030.

For what it's worth, I can sympathize with you.

I have a similar setup: SE, 4M, using system 7. I switch on the Mac and
go get a drink, go to the bathroom, see what's on tv, then go back to
the Mac to wait (still longer) for it to finish booting. Whew!
Everything I do in the finder is slow: copying files, opening folders,
getting info...

I've turned off "show folder sizes" in list views, and will try out this
new "no zoom rects" thing, but don't expect that it will help much. The
new Finder is SLOW on an SE. (Mine and Brad's, at least.)

I'm saving my pennies for an SE/30 upgrade. And a printer.

ken mohnkern # the graphics deli # the robotics institute # pittsburgh pa

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/07/91)

In article <AcHtH1W00Uzx813vp2@andrew.cmu.edu>
           km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) writes:

> Brad Banerd@bcars222.bnr writes:
> >q.1 Why would system 7 be so slow? (cache was 128k,"regular" SE(ie"leaded"))
> >    Since few people seem to be mentioning speed as a problem could it
> >    be something peculiar to my setup?  I would be delighted to find out
> >    that system 7.0 is useful to Macs without the 030.
> >

> For what it's worth, I can sympathize with you.
>
> I have a similar setup: SE, 4M, using system 7. I switch on the Mac and
> go get a drink, go to the bathroom, see what's on tv, then go back to
> the Mac to wait (still longer) for it to finish booting. Whew!
> Everything I do in the finder is slow: copying files, opening folders,
> getting info...

I have an SE too.  It doesn't seem at all slower (or at least, it doesn't seem
noticably slower under 7 as compared to 6.0.7).  Perhaps you have virtual
memory turned on?  I also have 4Meg in my SE, maybe that's helping me out.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/08/91)

In article <89wh4fh@rpi.edu>, gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
|> In article <AcHtH1W00Uzx813vp2@andrew.cmu.edu>
|>            km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) writes:
[extreme slowness of booting SE with 4M running 7.0]
|> I have an SE too.  It doesn't seem at all slower (or at least, it doesn't seem
|> noticably slower under 7 as compared to 6.0.7).  Perhaps you have virtual
|> memory turned on?  I also have 4Meg in my SE, maybe that's helping me out.
No, you can't use VM on and SE. I think it would be worthwhile to
find out what's going on here - I know someone with a Classic who
finds 7.0 unacceptably slow. Maybe the people with very slow SEs
or Classics should get together with the people without this
problem and work out the cause. The fact that one person finds
it takes many minutes just to boot is surely a clue. My cx boots
reasonably fast with 7.0 - no noticeable change from 6.0.7.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

banerd@bcars222.bnr.ca (Brad Banerd) (06/08/91)

>I think it would be worthwhile to
>find out what's going on here - I know someone with a Classic who
>finds 7.0 unacceptably slow. Maybe the people with very slow SEs
>or Classics should get together with the people without this
>problem and work out the cause. The fact that one person finds
>it takes many minutes just to boot is surely a clue. My cx boots
>reasonably fast with 7.0 - no noticeable change from 6.0.7.
>--
>Philip Machanick
>philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

I agree about getting to the bottom of this.  As soon as I get EMAIL send authorization here I can contact the owners of fast and slow SEs to compare application common denominators.  So far the experiences seem to be split 50-50 regarding slower or not.  If any of the slow SE-7 owners comes across a processor hog in their system before we find out anything then please post it: I am back running 6.0.7 and don't plan on tesseracting again until the coast is clear (following these metephors?).  (Q:  Any slow

 SE-7s NOT running Disk Express? DOS  Mounter?)

Thanks for the replies so far:  Brad

.

stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) (06/08/91)

In article <AcHtH1W00Uzx813vp2@andrew.cmu.edu> km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) writes:

	(Stuff about slow SEs with 4M, etc., under Sys 7 deleted)

Interesting.  I have an OLD SE (i.e., it was noisy until I replaced
the fan) with 4M, a 30M external HD, and a full-page-display.  the
only significant differences in speed I've noticed are during folder
openings (a little bit slower, but not too bad), and some other file
system accesses (after which it seems to update parts of the screen).
Neither delay is severe.  This is with 128K cache and show folder
sizes off.  Perhaps you installed the system with some networking
stuff, and your mac is trying to access appletalk for a while, before
giving up?  I was careful to do a custom install, with only the stuff
absolutely necessary for me.
--
			    Michael Stiber
			  stiber@cs.ucla.edu

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.181526.6565@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <89wh4fh@rpi.edu>, gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
>|> In article <AcHtH1W00Uzx813vp2@andrew.cmu.edu>
>|>            km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) writes:
>[extreme slowness of booting SE with 4M running 7.0]
>|> I have an SE too.  It doesn't seem at all slower (or at least, it doesn't seem
>|> noticably slower under 7 as compared to 6.0.7).  Perhaps you have virtual
>|> memory turned on?  I also have 4Meg in my SE, maybe that's helping me out.
>No, you can't use VM on and SE. I think it would be worthwhile to
>find out what's going on here - I know someone with a Classic who
>finds 7.0 unacceptably slow. Maybe the people with very slow SEs
>or Classics should get together with the people without this
>problem and work out the cause. The fact that one person finds
>it takes many minutes just to boot is surely a clue. My cx boots
>reasonably fast with 7.0 - no noticeable change from 6.0.7.

I can't offer more than anecdotes but I believe system 7 slowness can be
due to the disk driver. The compatability stack hung on my machine (2048Ke)
so I installed without the check being run. No go with SilverLining 5.25,
there were problems like icons not being displayed, etc. I reformatted with
a Power Drive formatter and it seemed to work but was intolerably slow. I
tried again with SF&I and it seems to work with only a slight slowdown
compared to 6.0.7. Since I had to reformat and restore the disk, there
was more that changed than just the disk driver but I'll be going back
to SilverLining as soon as I can get 5.3. Funny that the oldest driver I
have seems to work best.

Mike Ching

jclee@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jimmy Lee) (06/09/91)

t the disk cache to about 384K, that is if you guys have the ram.
In addition, use the software Silverling to format the drive.
BTW, which hard drive you have?--Miniscribe, Rodime, or Quantum.
If it is the 20 meg Miniscribe or Rodime, good luck!!!

I have a Mac Plus running on Sys 7.0 with Quantum 40 meg and the
System heap set at 1024K--that's right.  When I double-click on the
folders, it "shoots out" at me.  Everything is quicker.  Don't worry
if it slows down in the Finder.  Sys 7.0 has these thing that finder
operations are slower than in Sys 6.0X.

Good Luck in your quest for faster speed!!! Especially you have a
SE, Classic, or Plus.