[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder 7.0 overwrite warnings

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (06/07/91)

Finder 7.0 warns you in a much more informative way if you try to
overwrite a file.  It will tell you whether the overwritten file is newer
or older than the file you try to replace it with.
This is a feature I missed in earlier systems - you had to be really
careful when you made your diskette backups.  Thank you Apple!
  But, when the file you try to overwrite actually is newer than the
replace file, the DEFAULT button ought to be "Cancel", not "OK"!

just a small suggestion...

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@math.uio.no

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.120457.6516@ulrik.uio.no> espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes, among other things:

>Finder 7.0 warns you in a much more informative way if you try to
>overwrite a file.  It will tell you whether the overwritten file is newer
>or older than the file you try to replace it with.
>This is a feature I missed in earlier systems - you had to be really
>careful when you made your diskette backups.  Thank you Apple!
>  But, when the file you try to overwrite actually is newer than the
>replace file, the DEFAULT button ought to be "Cancel", not "OK"!

The only problem with this being (unless they changed it from 7b4) that it
looks at the Last Date Modified first instead of the Version (when
available).  It's not very helpful to try to replace Program X.3 with
Program X.4 and get the "A newer version exists . . ." dialog.

And, hey, while I'm complaining, why is it that, when I'm trying to copy
files onto a floppy and there isn't enough room without emptying the trash,
the files in the HD's trash get deleted too?  This is very unintuitive, since
the dialog says ". . . empty the trash *to make room* . . ." or something.
I had taken to using my trash as a pseudo-archive of all the downloads that
I didn't think I'd need, but wanted to have around just in case I found
out that I did need them.  Also, why does the entire trashcan have to be
emptied if I only need to make room for 1K that's unavailable.  Why doesn't
it just delete the oldest file(s) in there (having modified the date when the
file was trashed) so that just enough room is made?

Waiting for a better (and bigger) 7.0.1 . . .

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.6  *********************
*                                     |                                     *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |   It's hard to look cool with your  *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   arm Super-Glued to your forehead  *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (06/09/91)

In article <4082@ux.acs.umn.edu> oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) writes:

>And, hey, while I'm complaining, why is it that, when I'm trying to copy
>files onto a floppy and there isn't enough room without emptying the trash,
>the files in the HD's trash get deleted too?  This is very unintuitive, since

I suppose Apple decided, for the benefit of ultra-novices, that trash
should be trash--if you empty it, it all goes, no matter where it came
from.  After all, you can't see the difference if you open it up,
right?

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|