[comp.sys.mac.system] hacking installer scripts

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (06/08/91)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>   Is this part of system 7.0? Does it mean the bucket (?) is getting full?

>Sounds like someone's found Easy Access... ;-)

A chance to get this off my mind:

Why the hell does Apple think every user needs this junk (the
6.0.7 installer put brightness  in a) a customized ][si install and
b) a minimal install [if memory serves, but i _always_ have to
clean unwanted/needed junk out of the system folder. It was DAL in
7.0]

Does anyone know how to hack the installer scripts so the battery cdev
is not installed on an si? &c. &c.

And all those fonts--does _anyone_ ever use courier? (except hypercard)
How about a -really- customizable install?

--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"

gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) (06/09/91)

...kiran says:

>A chance to get this off my mind:
>
>Why the hell does Apple think every user needs this junk (the
>6.0.7 installer put brightness  in a) a customized ][si install and
>b) a minimal install [if memory serves, but i _always_ have to
>clean unwanted/needed junk out of the system folder. It was DAL in
>7.0]
>
>Does anyone know how to hack the installer scripts so the battery cdev
>is not installed on an si? &c. &c.
>
>And all those fonts--does _anyone_ ever use courier? (except hypercard)
>How about a -really- customizable install?
>
>--
>	...kiran
>		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

Oh boy.  OK.  What would it take to make you happy?  Can't you accept the
fact that you just purchased a totally excellent computer, slipped in
the floppys, pressed "Install" and then needed to trash a few files?

Ever set up and IBM? NeXT?  How about that machine's 3-hour drive format
time?  eh?

Is there really much difference between clicking "Hold the courier" and
dragging courier to the trash about 4.2 minutes later?

Actually, I've been freelancing to Apple to develop an installer that
is keyed to your horoscope and can determine if you're the type of person
to want to use Sticky Keys.

Anyone ever used EasyAccess and CloseView?  These two *free* utilities
can really be useful at times, and I wouldn't have made use of that
extra little bit of Apple engineering if the Installer hadn't placed them
there.

To sum up, don't have a com, man.  The Mac is awesome, and the installer
is great.  If it doesn't fit you to perfection, deal with it.

		With steam,
				Nate.
--
Nathan Gasser
gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (06/09/91)

In article <kiran.676352458@copper> kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes:

>A chance to get this off my mind:

>Why the hell does Apple think every user needs this junk (the
>6.0.7 installer put brightness  in a) a customized ][si install and
>b) a minimal install [if memory serves, but i _always_ have to
>clean unwanted/needed junk out of the system folder. It was DAL in
>7.0]

Easy Access is not in a minimal install, at least not in the one I
built (needed a floppy).  All it gave me was what I needed.

As for why it would go in a full install--that's probably to prevent
somebody who needs it installing their system & then finding that they
have to struggle to install Easy Access.  It's much easier for you to
trash it than for somebody who needs it to install it.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (06/09/91)

gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) writes:

>To sum up, don't have a com, man.  The Mac is awesome, and the installer
>is great.  If it doesn't fit you to perfection, deal with it.

Yes, but try to justify the inclusion of the Battery DA in a
customized ][si install. It's a great installer, BUT it could be better.

--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_: