[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys7: Lost ICLs with greyscale monitor

rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) (05/31/91)

Here's a rather annoying feature of the new multibit icon definitions.
It seems that it only occurs when using greyscales.

Set the 'monitors' control panel to 256greys, then using the 'color'
control panel change the highlight colour to a colour (rather than
B/W or 'grey').  Everything appears ok - the colour (blue say) is
represented by an equivalent greyscale.  BUT the icl representation
of icons becomes fundamentally unstable from then on - just opening
the 'general' control panel (or anything else that allows you to change
colours in some way) resets the icons on your screen to the standard
1 bit representation.  You can temporarily correct this by reselecting
256 (or 16) greys from 'monitors' - but it just doesn't convince the
computer permanently!

Now I expect you're wondering why one would ever want to have anything
other than 'grey' or B/W highlight on a greyscale monitor?  Suppose
the 'grey' highlight just isn't the shade you want, or you just switched
to greys from a colour monitor.  Anyway, why can't it cope with maintaining
grey representation of colours?

franklin@snowball.ucdavis.edu (Paul Franklin) (06/09/91)

In article <7898@ecs.soton.ac.uk> rdw89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Williams RD) writes:
>Now I expect you're wondering why one would ever want to have anything
>other than 'grey' or B/W highlight on a greyscale monitor?
>Anyway, why can't it cope with maintaining grey representation of colours?

I have experienced this problem several times, as I have a grey monitor.
It can be triggered in many different ways, notably with ResEdit, which
always succeeds to destroy any color table.  Why doesn't Color QuickDraw
force every color to its grey equivalent, and not let the color table
change (I can display 256 of 256 possible greys, so it shouldn't have to).

--Paul Franklin
--pdfranklin@ucdavis.edu