[comp.sys.mac.system] SuperMac "Manager"- huh?

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) (06/10/91)

	Just before (and after, as well) installing System 7.0, I ran the
Compatibility Checker Stack. Interesting thing is that it turned up something
called "Manager" which I didn't think that I had. As far as I know, I've
never gotten anything by SuperMac. Don't they make large screens and things?
Anyhow, there's no INIT or anything which even resembles "Manager". Is it in
the "System"?
	Oh, the reason that I know that Manager is from SuperMac is that it
says so in the stack's "For further I=info, contact the manufacturer" section.
Can anyone tell me what it is that I or someone installed to make this show up?
	System 7.0 on a 5M RAM, 40M HD SE/30. No external screen yet.
Extensions: Gatekeeper & Aid, BeepFlashToo, Extensions Manager, ATM 2.0, InUse,
DragWindow, JustClick, Public Folder, Programmer's Key, Remember, Understudy,
DeskPict, Suitcase 1.2.10. In case it matters. Post or e-mail welcome.

--
***                           The University of Chicago                     ***
*** Claimer: Beavers Are Gods.           Disclaimer: Believe What You Want. ***

ric@netcom.COM (Richard Bretscheider) (06/10/91)

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) writes:

>	Just before (and after, as well) installing System 7.0, I ran the
>Compatibility Checker Stack. Interesting thing is that it turned up something
>called "Manager" which I didn't think that I had. As far as I know, I've
>never gotten anything by SuperMac. Don't they make large screens and things?
>Anyhow, there's no INIT or anything which even resembles "Manager". Is it in
>the "System"?
>	Oh, the reason that I know that Manager is from SuperMac is that it
>says so in the stack's "For further I=info, contact the manufacturer" section.
>Can anyone tell me what it is that I or someone installed to make this show up?

The Manager is a utility that SuperMac manufactured to manipulate the
software setable SCSI identifications of the DataFrame series of hard
disks.  This utility was also used to format, partition, and install/
update the drivers for the same series of drives.

I still have a DF60xp hooked up to my system for "files I can't quite
bring myself to throw away."  I've been meaning to look into the latest
version of the Manager myself, as I got a similar message when I installed
Sys 7.  Let me know what else you find out.

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.200338.26144@midway.uchicago.edu> nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) writes:

>	Just before (and after, as well) installing System 7.0, I ran the
>Compatibility Checker Stack. Interesting thing is that it turned up something
>called "Manager" which I didn't think that I had. As far as I know, I've
>never gotten anything by SuperMac. Don't they make large screens and things?
>Anyhow, there's no INIT or anything which even resembles "Manager". Is it in
>the "System"?
>	Oh, the reason that I know that Manager is from SuperMac is that it
>says so in the stack's "For further I=info, contact the manufacturer" section.
>Can anyone tell me what it is that I or someone installed to make this show up?
>	System 7.0 on a 5M RAM, 40M HD SE/30. No external screen yet.
>Extensions: Gatekeeper & Aid, BeepFlashToo, Extensions Manager, ATM 2.0, InUse,
>DragWindow, JustClick, Public Folder, Programmer's Key, Remember, Understudy,
>DeskPict, Suitcase 1.2.10. In case it matters. Post or e-mail welcome.
>

>--
>***                           The University of Chicago                     ***
>*** Claimer: Beavers Are Gods.           Disclaimer: Believe What You Want. ***
>*** Come closer and see/ see into the trees/ find the girl if you can -Cure ***
>***  Tintin et Milou. "Goofy Come to a Party" - Mickey Mouse Talking Phone  ***

You're not the only one!  I had this happen to me, except in my case, it
interpreted one of my applications as some weird high-powered graphics arts
program that I never even heard of, let alone had on my disk!  I think this
is a bug in the compatibility checker... I think it checks by filetype/creator,
certain resources (Owner resources, etc.) and "vers" resources, and some-
times it screws up because certain manufacturers use the same resources/
filetypes as others
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

wchan@mortar.uucp (Wilson Chan) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.200338.26144@midway.uchicago.edu>, nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) writes:

> 	Just before (and after, as well) installing System 7.0, I ran the
> Compatibility Checker Stack. Interesting thing is that it turned up something
> called "Manager" which I didn't think that I had. As far as I know, I've
> never gotten anything by SuperMac. Don't they make large screens and things?
> Anyhow, there's no INIT or anything which even resembles "Manager". Is it in
> the "System"?

It could be a Desk Accessory.  I have a SuperMac DataFrame XP60.
The Manager is a combination of both application and desk accessory.

A new version of Manager is due out later this summer.

I am patiently waiting for my copy.

Good luck!

Wilson Chan