[comp.sys.mac.system] Strange Printing Problem

heuring@kirk.Colorado.EDU (Vincent Heuring) (06/07/91)

We are having very strange printing problems all of a sudden
trying to print from a Mac IIsi running 6.0.x.  When we try
to print from MacWrite, Word, Draw, or Paint, we get the message,

	"Print Monitor found that file xxxxx
	 was damaged and cannot be printed."

These files can be printed from PageMaker, no problem.  New
files, old files, it makes no difference.  We can print only
from PageMaker.  Norton Disk Doctor finds no problem with any
of the files.

I have recently upgraded a IIfx on the network to System 7, and
have copied all the System 7 printer stuff onto the IIsi,
as directed.  It was shortly after this happened that the IIsi
started with the crazy stuff above.  Restoring the printer drivers
to those from 6.0.x doesn't help.

Help!

--
---
 Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering

jose@calvin.ee.cornell.edu (Jose M. Rosado Roman) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.190919.964@colorado.edu> heuring@kirk.Colorado.EDU (Vincent Heuring) writes:

>We are having very strange printing problems all of a sudden
>trying to print from a Mac IIsi running 6.0.x.  When we try
>to print from MacWrite, Word, Draw, or Paint, we get the message,
>
>	"Print Monitor found that file xxxxx
>	 was damaged and cannot be printed."
>
>These files can be printed from PageMaker, no problem.  New
>files, old files, it makes no difference.  We can print only
>from PageMaker.  Norton Disk Doctor finds no problem with any
>of the files.
>
>I have recently upgraded a IIfx on the network to System 7, and
>have copied all the System 7 printer stuff onto the IIsi,
>as directed.  It was shortly after this happened that the IIsi
>started with the crazy stuff above.  Restoring the printer drivers
>to those from 6.0.x doesn't help.
>
>Help!
>

>--
>---
> Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
> University of Colorado - Boulder  heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU

The IIsi doesn't run on anything but 6.0.7 or 7.0 which has been a
bit flakey on some of the EE machines around here.  Say, check your
copy of printmonitor, have you tried printing without it?  Perhaps
you are running with a flakey telnet...  I've heard of stuff affecting
printings that I wouldn't of suspected before...  But with the telnet
fixes we seem to be back in business.
We haven't upgraded in Space past 6.0.5 and I don't suspect we will
until the fall...  "Patience is a virtue"  Read that somewhere else...

Isn't the printer driver the only thing you have to replace?  There is
a 7.0 compatible 6.0.7driver that should keep lasers from rebooting...
Seems strange to me to be mixing 6.0.7 and 7.0 stuff on the same machine...

--
Pink Pirate, Inc. --------------------------------------------------------
------------------  Disclaimer:  I am only related to my parents.

chem0255@waikato.ac.nz (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.190919.964@colorado.edu>, heuring@kirk.Colorado.EDU (Vincent Heuring) writes:

> We are having very strange printing problems all of a sudden
> trying to print from a Mac IIsi running 6.0.x.  When we try
> to print from MacWrite, Word, Draw, or Paint, we get the message,
>
> 	"Print Monitor found that file xxxxx
> 	 was damaged and cannot be printed."
>
> These files can be printed from PageMaker, no problem.  New
> files, old files, it makes no difference.  We can print only
> from PageMaker.  Norton Disk Doctor finds no problem with any
> of the files.
>
> I have recently upgraded a IIfx on the network to System 7, and
> have copied all the System 7 printer stuff onto the IIsi,
> as directed.  It was shortly after this happened that the IIsi
> started with the crazy stuff above.  Restoring the printer drivers
> to those from 6.0.x doesn't help.
>
> Help!
>

> --
> ---
>  Vincent Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering
>  University of Colorado - Boulder  heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU

Did you upgrade the Print Monitor. We come across the same error with the
system 7.0 printer drivers and the old Print Monitor when trying to sort
out a problem with word printing under 7.0. It didn't fix our problem but
it did sort out the damaged file error.

Les.

>In article <1991Jun6.190919.964@colorado.edu> heuring@kirk.Colorado.EDU (Vincent Heuring) writes:
>>
>>We are having very strange printing problems all of a sudden
>>trying to print from a Mac IIsi running 6.0.x.  When we try
>>to print from MacWrite, Word, Draw, or Paint, we get the message,
>>
>>	"Print Monitor found that file xxxxx
>>	 was damaged and cannot be printed."
>>
>>These files can be printed from PageMaker, no problem.  New
>>files, old files, it makes no difference.  We can print only
>>from PageMaker.  Norton Disk Doctor finds no problem with any
>>of the files.

Based on the programs which fail, I'd guess that LaserPrep is missing or
damaged.

franklin@snowball.ucdavis.edu (Paul Franklin) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.152658.22875@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>Based on the programs which fail, I'd guess that LaserPrep is missing or
>damaged.
>--
>Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
>     .sig under construction, like the rest of this campus.

Just so you know, starting with LaserWriter 6.1, the LaserPrep file
is contained in the driver.  The LaserPrep file is for the benefit
of the printing spooler module of AppleShare (I don't remember the
name)--I think.  Note that it went down to 3k from at least 20k.

--Paul Franklin
  pdfranklin@ucdavis.edu

slang@bnr.ca (Steven Langlois) (06/09/91)

I have also noticed similiar but not the same problems, especially with
printing speed. Since I have upgraded to System 7 printing software,
the speed of printing has been extremely slow!!!!! I have also noticed
reliability problems with printing, sometimes things are OK and other
times I get "'filename' failed to print because because of a printing
error" type dialog.

Steven Langlois
ISDN Basic Rate Access
BNR, a subsidiary of Northern Telecom

Internet: slang@bnr.ca

wchan@mortar.uucp (Wilson Chan) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.130852.24795@bmers95.bnr.ca>, slang@bnr.ca (Steven Langlois) writes:
> I have also noticed similiar but not the same problems, especially with
> printing speed. Since I have upgraded to System 7 printing software,
> the speed of printing has been extremely slow!!!!! I have also noticed
> reliability problems with printing, sometimes things are OK and other
> times I get "'filename' failed to print because because of a printing
> error" type dialog.

Unless you have upgraded you system to sys7, you don't really need
to have system 7 printing software.  Its main advantage is supporting
true type and grade-scale/color printing.  The only reason that I
see you need the printing software upgrade is because someone on your
localtalk network upgraded to system 7.

Good luck!

Wilson Chan