[comp.sys.mac.system] SUM partitioner & Binhqx don't work with sys 7.

aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) (06/07/91)

I have for some weeks now system 7 parallel to system 6.0.5 on my harddisc.
I have to keep the old system for only two reasons now:
The hard disc partitioner I use (SUM partitioner) does not work with
system 7. The partitions mount alright, but if you have the partition DA in
the system folder, all the other DA's exit with error code '-97'
Anyone knows why this is happening?
Does anyone know of an upgrade for SUM partition. I am using version 2.0
at the moment. If someone knows of a better (public domain/shareware?)
partitioner I am willing to take the risk.

My second question:
I am using the DA 'BinHQX' to de binhex the files from c.b.m.,
this also doesn't work with system 7!
So every time there is something nice on comp.binaries.mac, I have to switch
back to system 6 to de-binhex it. :-(
Of course I am NOT going back to the good old days of concatenating all the
loose files in a text editor and use the program 'BinHex' to do the job.
I have better things to do.

Like thinking of nice icons to go with all the folders on my Mac :)

Axel

--
Strike a pose... There's nothing to it.

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.145125.14031@fwi.uva.nl>, aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes...
>My second question:
>I am using the DA 'BinHQX' to de binhex the files from c.b.m.,
>this also doesn't work with system 7!

DeHqx works fine under seven.  It does batch jobs and handles
concatenated comp.binaries.mac postings without making you strip
the news headers first.  DeHqx is also FREE.

As far as CREATING binhex files, this almost always follows the
archiving step, so it's easiest to use Compact Pro or StuffIt
to do the encoding.  In a pinch, BinHex still works fine for
_creating_ .hqx files.  And it's FREE.

With 7.0 aliases and the Apple Menu items folder, there just isn't
any need for DAs, especially if they don't work properly.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (06/08/91)

>In article <1991Jun7.145125.14031@fwi.uva.nl>, aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes...
>>I am using the DA 'BinHQX' to de binhex the files from c.b.m.,
>>this also doesn't work with system 7!

I've tried BinHqx version 1.0.2 and it certainly works with System 7. I opened
the suitcase from the Finder and dragged the "application" to a folder called
Desk Accessories in the Apple Menu Items folder. What's your version?
--
//  Norton Chia || I can be reached via e-mail  -->  norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU /
/ Micro Support || Yes, this is Australia calling. //////  AppleLink: AUST0240 /

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.145125.14031@fwi.uva.nl> aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes:
>I have for some weeks now system 7 parallel to system 6.0.5 on my harddisc.
>I have to keep the old system for only two reasons now:
>The hard disc partitioner I use (SUM partitioner) does not work with
>system 7. The partitions mount alright, but if you have the partition DA in
>the system folder, all the other DA's exit with error code '-97'
>Anyone knows why this is happening?
>Does anyone know of an upgrade for SUM partition. I am using version 2.0
>at the moment. If someone knows of a better (public domain/shareware?)
>partitioner I am willing to take the risk.
>
>My second question:
>I am using the DA 'BinHQX' to de binhex the files from c.b.m.,
>this also doesn't work with system 7!
>So every time there is something nice on comp.binaries.mac, I have to switch
>back to system 6 to de-binhex it. :-(

You must be either using a really old version of BinHqx, or you have a corrupted
copy.  I'm using BinHqx 1.02 with 7.0, and it works beautifully.  Contact the
author, Howard Fukuda (physi-hf@garnet.berkeley.edu) for an upgrade.  Or
poke around on the archives.  To install , just drag its suitcase onto the
System Folder, and let it auto-nstall for you.  The Prefs file stays in
the root level of the System folder, does NOT go into preferences.

>Of course I am NOT going back to the good old days of concatenating all the
>loose files in a text editor and use the program 'BinHex' to do the job.
>I have better things to do.
>
>Like thinking of nice icons to go with all the folders on my Mac :)
>
>Axel
>
>--
>Strike a pose... There's nothing to it.

Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun7.145125.14031@fwi.uva.nl>, aroest@fwi.uva.nl (Axel Roest (N)) writes:
> The hard disc partitioner I use (SUM partitioner) does not work with
> system 7. The partitions mount alright, but if you have the partition DA in
> the system folder, all the other DA's exit with error code '-97'

Same happens for me. The System 7 checker stack warns about SUM Partition,
calling it incompatible, and recommends version 2.0.1 or something. I called
Symantec and they said there wasn't a 7.0 compatible version of SUM at all,
so I don't know what the story is. But, yes, SUM Partition is broken.

> If someone knows of a better (public domain/shareware?)
> partitioner I am willing to take the risk.

You want to take risks with your partitioning software? Oh, do have fun...

I use SilverLining 5.28 now without problems. Hard partitioning is *so* much
better. But, I want SUM Partition back sometime because I use it to thwart
copy-protection on software.

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick