[comp.sys.mac.system] Folder that won't die under System 7

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (06/05/91)

I recently decided to reorganize a little and get rid of an almost empty
folder.  It contained on item that I wanted to save, so I moved the file
and then threw the folder in the trash.  Later when I went to throw it
away, I got the message "The item "Saved System Stuff" could not be
deleted because it contains items that are in use."  I tried again
just to be sure, and after failing again I decided to rename the folder
and throw it away.  No luck.  I did a Get File/Folder Info in ResEdit,
but everything looks normal.  I put something in the folder, took the file
out, then tried to empty the trash, and again the folder refuses to be
deleted.  One strange thing is that I can duplicate the folder and throw
the duplicate away.  Any suggestions?

One thing that may have some bearing one this is that I believe I created
the folder under one of the beta system 7 versions, but I don't remember
if it was the System folder.  Before installing the golden master version,
I threw out most of the system files but I may have renamed the system folder
so I could keep the extensions, DAs, etc. that aren't part of the system
release.

Russell Davoli (davoli@natinst.com)
National Instruments Corp.

dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) (06/06/91)

In article <24137@natinst.natinst.com>, davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) writes:
> One thing that may have some bearing one this is that I believe I created
> the folder under one of the beta system 7 versions, but I don't remember
> if it was the System folder.  Before installing the golden master version,
> I threw out most of the system files but I may have renamed the system folder
> so I could keep the extensions, DAs, etc. that aren't part of the system
> release.

This is VERY important to anyone out there who had installed beta
copies of 7.0.  (Hey, you wanted it early, you gotta take the good
with the bad :-) )

After installing 7.0 GM on your machine, be sure to run the new Disk
First Aid (from the Disk Tools disk) against ALL OF YOUR HARD DISKS
that were mounted on that 7.0 machine.  When it asks to repair
the disk, say "Yes."  Once you have done this, you disk is normal
once again, no need to reformat.

The "folder from hell" is caused by a bug in the BTree code for
pre-GM versions of 7.0.

In my experience, about 4 out of 5 hard disks I installed on had
this bug.  It sort of depends on your usage pattern on that
particular hard disk, so some people had none, and some people
had every disk in need of repair.

 Tom Dowdy                 Internet:  dowdy@apple.COM
 Apple Computer MS:81EQ    UUCP:      {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
 20525 Mariani Ave         AppleLink: DOWDY1
 Cupertino, CA 95014
 "The 'Ooh-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."

ericg@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Eric Goodman) (06/07/91)

writes:
> folder.  It contained on item that I wanted to save, so I moved the file
> and then threw the folder in the trash.  Later when I went to throw it
> away, I got the message "The item "Saved System Stuff" could not be
> deleted because it contains items that are in use."  I tried again
> just to be sure, and after failing again I decided to rename the folder
> and throw it away.  No luck.  (etc, etc.)

I have no solution, but have been admiring the problem on my machine for
awhile as well :->.  I cannot delete the folder(s) under System 7 or System
6.0.5.  It is a REAL pain in the rear.  The trash won't recognize the
folders if they are the only things in the trash (even though the trash is
bulging and the "Empty Trash" option is available, it gives the message
"The Trash is empty"), and if other things are in the trash I get the same
error as above.  NO program that I have used (FEdit, ResEdit, Word, and a
few others) see any of the phantom files in the trash.

I often get the problem of the trash not recognizing that it's full even
when the folder isn't one from Hell.  I can usually get around this by
throwing away a copy of something else.  If there is just one normal file
in the trash, it can magically delete all of the files it otherwise
wouldn't recognize.

If you can help, please E-mail me!

Thanks,

Eric Goodman, UC Santa Cruz

ericg@ucschu.ucsc.edu  or  @ucschu.bitnet
Eric_Goodman.staff@macmail.ucsc.edu

planting@cs.pitt.edu (06/08/91)

writes:
> folder.  It contained on item that I wanted to save, so I moved the file
> and then threw the folder in the trash.  Later when I went to throw it
> away, I got the message "The item "Saved System Stuff" could not be
> deleted because it contains items that are in use."  I tried again
> just to be sure, and after failing again I decided to rename the folder
> and throw it away.  No luck.  (etc, etc.)

I had the same problem.  (Actually, this was a folder-from-hell that was
created under System 6.)

I ran Disk First Aid from the system 7 distribution, and afterwords I could
throw the file away.

--------
Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.pitt.edu

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/08/91)

As I wrote before, I had some unpleasant folders from Hell, even though I
created them under "official" 7 from ftp.apple.com. I had to run HellFolder
(sumex, utilities - I think) and it did the trick. Nothing else worked.  E.
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (06/10/91)

In article <53703@apple.Apple.COM>, dowdy@apple.com (Tom Dowdy) writes:
> In article <24137@natinst.natinst.com>, davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) writes:
>> One thing that may have some bearing one this is that I believe I created
>> the folder under one of the beta system 7 versions, but I don't remember
>> if it was the System folder.
>
> This is VERY important to anyone out there who had installed beta
> copies of 7.0. [humor deleted]
>
> After installing 7.0 GM on your machine, be sure to run the new Disk
> First Aid (from the Disk Tools disk) against ALL OF YOUR HARD DISKS
> that were mounted on that 7.0 machine.  When it asks to repair
> the disk, say "Yes."  Once you have done this, you disk is normal
> once again, no need to reformat.
>
> The "folder from hell" is caused by a bug in the BTree code for
> pre-GM versions of 7.0.

Well, the funny thing is that I DID run Disk First Aid on that hard disk
and the program did something then pronounced my hard disk repaired.
At any rate, I'm planning to run Disk First Aid again to see if it will
repair the disk before I try anything more drastic.

Thanks to all who have responded.  I've tried the simpler suggestions,
like making a new folder then copying over the one that won't delete,
with no luck.  If this doesn't work, then I'll try to get the folder-
from-hell program at the sumex-aim archives.  Thanks again to all you
folks.