[comp.sys.mac.system] Minor Get Info complaints

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/04/91)

If the original is on the desktop, Get Info reports the
alias as being in <diskname name>:DeskTop Folder:
instead of on the desktop.

Other things on the desktop are (inconsistantly) reported as
being on <diskname>: - maybe <diskname>:desktop would be
better.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.165024.8929@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
|If the original is on the desktop, Get Info reports the
|alias as being in <diskname name>:DeskTop Folder:
|instead of on the desktop.

Although this isn't the clearest message possible, I do like that it
tells you what disk it's on, and doesn't just say "Desktop" or something.
Even though the file is on the desktop, it's still on some physical
disk, and if that disk is removed or unplugged (or explodes :-)), the
file will go away.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/05/91)

In article <634@6sceng.UUCP> blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.165024.8929@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>|If the original is on the desktop, Get Info reports the
>|alias as being in <diskname name>:DeskTop Folder:
>|instead of on the desktop.
>
>Although this isn't the clearest message possible, I do like that it
>tells you what disk it's on, and doesn't just say "Desktop" or something.
>Even though the file is on the desktop, it's still on some physical
>disk, and if that disk is removed or unplugged (or explodes :-)), the
>file will go away.
>Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

Related to this discussion--if I am in the SFDialog and a move to the
Desktop and then SAVE a file, which PHYSICAL disk will it be placed on?
I am assuming that it will go onto the Startup volume.

  Paul

  (I know, I know, "TRY IT"...I'm here at work on my lowly IIfx running
  6.0.7, so I can't...)
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.142353.13978@mmm.serc.3m.com>, pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
|> Related to this discussion--if I am in the SFDialog and a move to the
|> Desktop and then SAVE a file, which PHYSICAL disk will it be placed on?
|> I am assuming that it will go onto the Startup volume.
The name of the disk appears on the top right (or wherever the
application has moved it). You can select a disk name in the
file list to change the name. If no disk is selected, the last
disk selected is remembered.
|>   (I know, I know, "TRY IT"...I'm here at work on my lowly IIfx running
|>   6.0.7, so I can't...)
Please feel free to offer me your fx in exchange for my cx,
on which 7.0 works just fine.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.142353.13978@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>Related to this discussion--if I am in the SFDialog and a move to the
>Desktop and then SAVE a file, which PHYSICAL disk will it be placed on?
>I am assuming that it will go onto the Startup volume.

If you just click Desktop (or hit command-D), I think you're right.  But if
you look carefully at the volume name in the SFDialog, you will see that it
changes depending on what item in the list is selected.

To save onto the desktop of a different volume, simply click on the desired
volume in the scrolling list (or something from that volume that's on the
desktop), tab to the type-in box, and click save.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/11/91)

In article <13911@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>>[me]
>>Related to this discussion--if I am in the SFDialog and a move to the
>>Desktop and then SAVE a file, which PHYSICAL disk will it be placed on?
>>I am assuming that it will go onto the Startup volume.
>
>If you just click Desktop (or hit command-D), I think you're right.  But if
>you look carefully at the volume name in the SFDialog, you will see that it
>changes depending on what item in the list is selected.
>
>To save onto the desktop of a different volume, simply click on the desired
>volume in the scrolling list (or something from that volume that's on the
>desktop), tab to the type-in box, and click save.

Silly me; I didn't think to look at the disk name there in the SFDialog.
Of course it does work this way.  And since there will _always_ be a
disk name shown, you always save things on the desktop (or, for those
into pure semantics, into the "Desktop Folder") on THAT disk.

Thanks for the explanation.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| => pejacoby@3m.com             |     I'm afraid this is getting    |
|                 (612) 737-3211 |            too silly!             |