[comp.sys.mac.system] Bringing Finder frontmost after Startup Items run

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/29/91)

 After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
 way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?

 Thanks,

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (05/29/91)

From article <5000@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, by long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long):

>  After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
>  way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?

Create an alias for your hard drive and put it in the startup items
folder.  Rename it so that it is alphabetically last.  The last thing
that is done will be to switch to the finder and open (or bring
frontmost) your hard drive.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/30/91)

In article <5000@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>  After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
>  way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?

I wrote a simple little App that does this.  It uses the process manager
to bring the Finder forward.  Of course it must be last item run in
the startup folder.

If anyone wants it, I could clean it up and send it out.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (05/30/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.gszmd2@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <5000@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>>
>>  After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
>>  way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?
>
>I wrote a simple little App that does this.  It uses the process manager
>to bring the Finder forward.  Of course it must be last item run in
>the startup folder.
>
>If anyone wants it, I could clean it up and send it out.
>
>-- michael
>
>--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
>--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
>--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
>--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

Yes, we are interested.

(Sorry for the use of the News but I tried to use Email and it bounced.)

Jerome Plun

Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
Washington University  []
St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.141007.9682@cec1.wustl.edu>, jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) writes:
> In article <0B01FFFB.gszmd2@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>>
>>In article <5000@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>>>
>>>  After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
>>>  way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?
>>
>>I wrote a simple little App that does this.  It uses the process manager
>>to bring the Finder forward.  Of course it must be last item run in
>>the startup folder.
>>
>>If anyone wants it, I could clean it up and send it out.
>>
>>-- michael
>>
>>--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
>>--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
>>--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
>>--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE
>
> Yes, we are interested.
>
> (Sorry for the use of the News but I tried to use Email and it bounced.)
>
> Jerome Plun
>
> Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
> jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
> Washington University  []
> St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance

	There's a real cheap way to get the finder to the front without any
inits or other apps running. Just put an alias to your hard drive in the
startup items folder and put a ~ (tilde) in front of it's name (to make it
start last). It'll go back to the finder and open your HD to boot. If you don't
like it opening your HD automatically, just make a fake (empty) sound and put
its alias last in the startup items folder. No fuss, no muss, just basic Finder
stuff. Any takers?

Dan

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |
|--------------------------------------------------|  ||   ||   ||\ /||   |
|   INTERNET  -----> dweisman@umiami.IR.Miami.edu  |  ||   ||   || | ||   |
|     BITNET  -----> dweisman@umiami               |  |||||||   || | ||   |
| "...the fact is- this friction will only be worn by persistance." -RUSH |
\_________________________________________________________________________/

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.141007.9682@cec1.wustl.edu>, jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) writes:
> In article <0B01FFFB.gszmd2@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
> >
> >In article <5000@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
> >>
> >>  After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
> >>  way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?
> >
> >I wrote a simple little App that does this.  It uses the process manager
> >to bring the Finder forward.  Of course it must be last item run in
> >the startup folder.
> >
> >If anyone wants it, I could clean it up and send it out.
> >
> >-- michael
> >
> >--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
> >--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
> >--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
> >--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE
>
> Yes, we are interested.

OK, I'll post it to comp.sys.mac.binaries in a week or so after I've
cleaned it up.

In article <1991May30.142809.10293@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:

> 	There's a real cheap way to get the finder to the front without any
> inits or other apps running. Just put an alias to your hard drive in the
> startup items folder and put a ~ (tilde) in front of it's name (to make it
> start last). It'll go back to the finder and open your HD to boot. If you don't
> like it opening your HD automatically, just make a fake (empty) sound and put
> its alias last in the startup items folder. No fuss, no muss, just basic Finder
> stuff. Any takers?

Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (06/02/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.gszmd2@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <5000@ryn.mro4.dec.com>, long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
>>
>>  After the Startup Items run, the last thing run is frontmost. Is there some
>>  way to have the Finder automatically end up frontmost?
>
>I wrote a simple little App that does this.  It uses the process manager
>to bring the Finder forward.  Of course it must be last item run in
>the startup folder.
>
>If anyone wants it, I could clean it up and send it out.
>
>-- michael

Yes, Michael.  Please do post it.  I think a number of people would be very
happy to have it!

--Mike

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/04/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.gwbpcl@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <1991May30.142809.10293@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
>> 	There's a real cheap way to get the finder to the front without any
>> inits or other apps running. Just put an alias to your hard drive in the
>
>Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
>my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)
>-- michael

Note that the new version AppDisk (1.1) has this as an option.  It does
indeed force the Finder to the front after it's done doing what is does
:-)

And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
more neato utilities for 7.0!
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.155851.23146@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>In article <0B01FFFB.gwbpcl@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>>
>>In article <1991May30.142809.10293@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
>>> 	There's a real cheap way to get the finder to the front without any
>>> inits or other apps running. Just put an alias to your hard drive in the
>>
>>Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
>>my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)
>>-- michael

Right.

>And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
>more neato utilities for 7.0!
>--

Why in hell would you want to promote the spread of hacks into the
system when you can already do what the hack does?  Just spreads
possible incompatibilities.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (06/05/91)

In article <18154@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.155851.23146@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>>>Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
>>>my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)
>>>-- michael
>
>Right.

Wrong!!  What if I don't WANT my hard disk window open at every boot?  I
don't, you know.  I DO, however, want the Finder frontmost, so that I can have
a consistent starting place for each day's Mac-ing.  If I can have a little
app that runs at startup and puts the Finder in the front, that's just what I
want.

>>And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
>>more neato utilities for 7.0!
>>--
>
>Why in hell would you want to promote the spread of hacks into the
>system when you can already do what the hack does?  Just spreads
>possible incompatibilities.

Oh, come on!  Give it a rest, eh?  Sure, you can already do what the hack
does.  How about if you can't do it as easily?  That's what most of these
inits do -- make it EASIER to do things, like open applications, find
documents, etc.

Please, Michael, release your hack.  If I want to use it, I will.  If I don't,
I won't.    (I will, though.... :-))

--Mike

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (06/05/91)

In article <18154@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.155851.23146@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>>>Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
>>>my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)
>>>-- michael
>
>Right.
>
>>And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
>>more neato utilities for 7.0!
>>--
>
>Why in hell would you want to promote the spread of hacks into the
>system when you can already do what the hack does?  Just spreads
>possible incompatibilities.
>
>jas

Don't be confused by the term 'hack'.  We were talking about an _APPLICATION_
that would do the trick (namely bring back the Finder to the front after all
the other start-up items), not some extension or fiddling in the Finder with
ResEdit.

I am really interested in getting this little application because it's the
cleanest way of bringing the Finder to the front.  I don't want to have my hard
drive root window opened every time I boot my machine.

Back to the hacking business, using applications instead of any other trick is
the best way to add some features to the system (cf Applicon, DarkSide instead
of Pyro or AfterDark, Alarm Clock instead of SuperClock...).  Not only can
an application be checked more easily than some trap patching extension but
you can quit any application while you have to reboot to turn off an
extension (at least most of them).

Jerome

Jerome Plun            []  Is it a crime to want something else?
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu    []  Is it a crime to believe in something different?
Washington University  []
St Louis, MO           []  "Smalltown England", New Model Army, Vengeance

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/05/91)

In article <18154@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
[how to get the Finder to the front EASILY described]

>>And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
>>more neato utilities for 7.0!
>>--
>
>Why in hell would you want to promote the spread of hacks into the
>system when you can already do what the hack does?  Just spreads
>possible incompatibilities.

Oh Jeff, don't be so serious!  You are talking to someone who ran
between 25 and 30 INITs at all times under 6.0.5, and had few (if any)
crashes attributed to those INITs.  Under 7.0, I run 10 or more on a
daily basis, and again have NO problems.  I expect to add more once
DiskExpress II 2.0.7 and a few others arrive.

 'As for me, I will choose free hacks...uh...free will, ya, free WILL!'

--

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.155851.23146@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>In article <0B01FFFB.gwbpcl@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>>
>>In article <1991May30.142809.10293@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
>>> 	There's a real cheap way to get the finder to the front without any
>>> inits or other apps running. Just put an alias to your hard drive in the
>>
>>Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
>>my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)
>
>Note that the new version AppDisk (1.1) has this as an option.  It does
>indeed force the Finder to the front after it's done doing what is does
>:-)
>
>And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
>more neato utilities for 7.0!

Ditto. I couldn't get the hard-disk-alias-in-the-startup-folder trick to
work.

Mike Ching

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (06/06/91)

In article <18154@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
> In article <1991Jun4.155851.23146@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

> >>Sounds like a better way than a special app.  So maybe I won't post
> >>my little hack (harumph, my first System 7 specific App is worthless :-)
> >>-- michael
>
> Right.
>
> >And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
> >more neato utilities for 7.0!
> >--
>
> Why in hell would you want to promote the spread of hacks into the
> system when you can already do what the hack does?  Just spreads
> possible incompatibilities.

Who's talking about spreading possible incompatibilies to the system?
The process manager is fully documented in Inside Macintosh Volume VI.
Everything you need to know to write this "hack" is there.  No trap patching
or other "bad things".

I was using the term HACK to mean a quick and elegant little program
that gets the job done.  This is the good connotation of this word,
not the bad.  Sort of like describing myself as a hacker.  I don't
mean I break into systems and steal national security secrets, but
rather I enjoy playing around with the system and exploring its secrets
- helping me do a better job for my clients and myself.

-- michael

P.S.  Here's the WHOLE program that does this, simply compile in into
an Application (or an MPW tool, that works too for easy testing).

It works as is, but it doesn't have any UI and this might confuse
people who run across it not knowing what it's for.  If someone wants
to run with this, please give some sort of UI.  Thanks.

PROGRAM FinderFirst;

USES
	Processes;

FUNCTION GetFinderSerial : ProcessSerialNumber;
VAR
	process	: ProcessSerialNumber;
	infoRec	: ProcessInfoRec;
BEGIN {GetFinderSerial}

	WITH process DO BEGIN
		highLongOfPSN := 0;
		lowLongOfPSN  := kNoProcess;
	END;

	WITH infoRec DO BEGIN
		processInfoLength := SIZEOF(ProcessInfoRec);
		processName := NIL;
		processAppSpec := NIL;
	END;

	WHILE (GetNextProcess(process) = noErr) DO BEGIN
		IF GetProcessInformation(process,infoRec) = noErr
			THEN BEGIN
				IF (infoRec.processType = LONGINT('FNDR')) AND
				   (infoRec.processSignature = 'MACS')
					THEN BEGIN
				   		GetFinderSerial := process;
						Exit(GetFinderSerial);
					END;
			END;
	END;

END; {GetFinderSerial}

BEGIN {MAIN}

	IF SetFrontProcess(GetFinderSerial) <> noErr
		THEN BEGIN
			SysBeep(5);
		END;

END. {MAIN}

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.175045.10002@amd.com>, ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) writes:
> In article <1991Jun4.155851.23146@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>>And Michael, why don't you release your hack anyway?  We can ALWAYS use
>>more neato utilities for 7.0!
>

> Ditto. I couldn't get the hard-disk-alias-in-the-startup-folder trick to
> work.

That's because you have to make sure that you name the alias with a ~ in front
of its name as in: ~Hard Disk

That way it gets "Started up" last. That comment got axed by the recent