[comp.sys.mac.system] Silverlining 5.28-Bad master directory

sxh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Ray Zimmerman) (06/07/91)

   I got Silverlining 5.28 about a week or so ago (shortly after
I installed System 7).  I reformated my drive and set up 3
partitions.  System 7 is on the first volume (1st by physical
allocation, 3rd by alphabetical naming).  All three volumes
are set up to mount automatically.  Here's the problem.
   Occasionally my IIci will hang due to System 7 incompatible
programs that I'm checking out, and I'll be forced to hit the
restart button on the programmer's switch.  Everytime I do this
my System volume refuses to mount.  If I run Silverlining from
floppy the other volumes mount fine but it says that the System
volume has a bad master directory.  If I retry to mount using
Silverlining, it fails again, but Disk First Aid can fix the
problem.  If I don't try to remount, Disk First Aid finds no
need for repairs.
   Now I could see this kind of thing happening once, but it is
quite consistent.  By the way, if I put System 6.0.7 on another
volume and boot from that instead, then hit the restart, it is
still the volume that is physically first on the drive which
gets the master directory screwed up.  Also, if I hit interrupt,
and use the "rs" command in MacsBug, everythings cool.  Nothing
gets corrupted.
   It is really getting to be annoying that I have to go through
all this every time.  Can anybody tell me exactly what is going
on here.  Is it a problem with the Silverlining driver (and
will it be fixed in version 5.30)?  And by the way, does anybody
out there have version 5.30 yet?
			  Thank you very much in advance,
 Ray Zimmerman                          | Electrical Engineering
 369 Engineering & Theory Center        |
 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY  14853  |    zman@ee.cornell.edu

Roger.W.Brown@dartmouth.edu (Roger W. Brown) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.113321.5327@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
sxh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Ray Zimmerman) writes:

>   Occasionally my IIci will hang due to System 7 incompatible
> programs that I'm checking out, and I'll be forced to hit the
> restart button on the programmer's switch.  Everytime I do this
> my System volume refuses to mount.  If I run Silverlining from
> floppy the other volumes mount fine but it says that the System
> volume has a bad master directory.  If I retry to mount using
> Silverlining, it fails again, but Disk First Aid can fix the
> problem.  If I don't try to remount, Disk First Aid finds no
> need for repairs.

I don't have an explanation or any help for you, except to say that the
same thing is happening to me with a 2 partition La Cie Cirrus. I have
been trying to get help from LaCie for a few days have only gotten a
recording on the tech support line. It does not appear to be a
universal problem. Other people here running SilverLining are not
reporting it. If you get an answer, please share it and I will do the
same.

Roger Brown
Courseware Development
Dartmouth College