[comp.sys.mac.system] My StuffIt Icons vanished!

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.122433.67@mis.mcw.edu> bmueller@mis.mcw.edu writes:
>Could anyone tell me why my SCSI Probe 3.0.1 takes the form of a
>generic document icon (folded over at edge)? I am running System
>7.0 and accidentally destroyed my desktop DF. After rebuilding the
>desktop things came back to normal, but I noticed this generic
>document icon when I went to access SCSI Probe.
>
>I removed it from the desktop, rebuilt the deskdtop, reinstalled it,
>and everything was fine. When I started up again, the generic doc.
>icon was there (and this happened several times).
>
>Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Bob Mueller.
>
>P.S. All my other icons are just fine...only SCSI Probe has this
>problem. Since I just downloaded it last night, I don't know if
>this version is faulty, or if I am at fault.

I've got a similar problem, but mine is that my Stuffit Deluxe 2.01 icons --
ALL of them, even those for the various extensions, translators, magic Menu,
etc. disappeared!!  The same thing happens with Stuffit Classic (on a different
disk, so don't say that the two icons are cancelling each other out).  The
funny thing was that once, SOMEHOW, I managed to get my icons back, but now
I recently had to rebuild the desktop, and they're gone again!  Stuffit app-
ears as a generic application icon, and all Stuffit archives (1.5.1 and Deluxe)
appear as generic documents.

None of my other icons are suffering this problem.

Any suggestions???
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

wchan@mortar.uucp (Wilson Chan) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.221209.18652@agate.berkeley.edu>, dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) writes:
> I've got a similar problem, but mine is that my Stuffit Deluxe 2.01 icons --
> ALL of them, even those for the various extensions, translators, magic Menu,
> etc. disappeared!!  The same thing happens with Stuffit Classic (on a different
> disk, so don't say that the two icons are cancelling each other out).  The
> funny thing was that once, SOMEHOW, I managed to get my icons back, but now
> I recently had to rebuild the desktop, and they're gone again!  Stuffit app-
> ears as a generic application icon, and all Stuffit archives (1.5.1 and Deluxe)
> appear as generic documents.

I talked to the folks at Aladdin 2 weeks ago.  They told me that at
the time of StuffIt Deluxe v2.0.1 introduction, they weren't sure
of how system 7 would do to their Magic Menu.  So they decided to
turn the Magic Menu off to prevent system crash!  There will be an
upgrade in the late summer for full system 7 compatibility.

Good luck!

---------------------
Wilson Chan

zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun9.221209.18652@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) writes:

   I've got a similar problem, but mine is that my Stuffit Deluxe 2.01 icons --

   [Stuff Deleted]

   None of my other icons are suffering this problem.

I have the same problem!  Rebuilding the desktop doesn't help, and the
bundle bit is set.  The only way I've been able to fix it is to delete
StuffIt Deluxe, rebuild the desktop, and then reinstall it from the
original disk.  (Copying from a backup doesn't work.)  This icons
remain for a while (sometimes weeks) then disappear again.

I don't have a copy of StuffIt 1.5.1 or StuffIt Classic causing a
conflict either.

I'm running System 7 on a Mac IIci.

Rick Zaccone
--
zaccone@bucknell.edu

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.221209.18652@agate.berkeley.edu>, dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun9.122433.67@mis.mcw.edu> bmueller@mis.mcw.edu writes:
|> >Could anyone tell me why my SCSI Probe 3.0.1 takes the form of a
|> >generic document icon (folded over at edge)? I am running System
|> >7.0 and accidentally destroyed my desktop DF. After rebuilding the
|> >desktop things came back to normal, but I noticed this generic
|> >document icon when I went to access SCSI Probe.
|>
|> I've got a similar problem, but mine is that my Stuffit Deluxe 2.01 icons --

	I have also had similar problems on 6.0.5 with the Desktop Manager. But
here is an even funnier one!
	I have been using Desktop Manager on 6.0.5 for quite a while but I
still have the desktop files lying around on my HD partitions.
	I got system 7 and installed it on a clean partition on my HD. I had
no other partitions mounted. When I had completed the installation, I used
the Silverlining DA (which I had "copied" from the original SL disk) to mount
my other partitions.
	The system immediately starts rebuilding my desktops and "configuring"
my partitions for System 7. First it does my system 6.0.5 startup partition
(which is NOT the current startup partition, that's system 7). OK so far.
	Then it starts to rebuild my applications partition. When my
applications partition is complete, ResEdit 2.1 which is in a folder on the
application partition has ended up with the Icon for INIT Picker which only
exists on my system 6.0.5 startup partition.
	What's even stranger, is that this only appears when I run system 7.
When I run 6.0.5 (with DM) I have the normal ResEdit Jack-In-The-Box. Also,
it is ONLY the system 7 finder window and get-info box that has the wrong Icon,
the correct icon shows up in the Apple Menu and in other places where Icons
are displayed.
	You figure it out!
--
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)