[comp.sys.mac.system] startup items running order in system 7

takahash@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Toshiyuki Takahashi) (06/10/91)

In what order do applications in 'startup item' folder run in system 7?
I got 'FinderToFront' from sumex, and placed in the startup item folder. Its
file name has ~ for the first character so I thought it would run at the
last. But it didn't !
   I have also applicon, trash chute, darkside(trigo), alarm clock placed in
the startup item folder. Applicon placed the tiles in the following order.
  applicon, finder, (trash chute, ~FinderToFront)*, darkside(trigo) alias,
alarm clock alias       (* they exits soon, so It may be vice versa)

The same question goes to the running order of system extensions. Showing
order of startup icons suggests that it is not alphabetic order. In system 6,
it was an alphabetic order.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Toshiyuki Takahashi             e-mail: takahash@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
CIS Graduate Student            University of Pennsylvania

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/12/91)

takahash@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Toshiyuki Takahashi) writes:

>In what order do applications in 'startup item' folder run in system 7?
Alphabetically??
>I got 'FinderToFront' from sumex, and placed in the startup item folder. Its
>file name has ~ for the first character so I thought it would run at the
>last. But it didn't !
>   I have also applicon, trash chute, darkside(trigo), alarm clock placed in
>the startup item folder. Applicon placed the tiles in the following order.
>  applicon, finder, (trash chute, ~FinderToFront)*, darkside(trigo) alias,
>alarm clock alias       (* they exits soon, so It may be vice versa)

>The same question goes to the running order of system extensions. Showing
>order of startup icons suggests that it is not alphabetic order. In system 6,
>it was an alphabetic order.
In this case, I think Sys 7 does something like System Folder -> Extension
Folder -> Control Panels. That might explain the appearent non-alphabetic
order.

>Any idea? Thanks in advance.
I only put aliases in the Startup Folder, and prefix them with a "line
number".

--
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |