[comp.sys.mac.system] Inappropriate dialog under 7.0...

rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) (06/10/91)

The setup: copying files to a disk which already has identical files on it.

The resulting dialog:

	"Some items in this location have the same names as items you're
 	 moving.  Do you want to replace them with the onces you're moving?"

Could cause some alarm, especially if the user takes it at face value (i.e.,
moving = copy + delete).

---
Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@cactus.org
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (06/10/91)

rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:

>The setup: copying files to a disk which already has identical files on it.

>The resulting dialog:

>	"Some items in this location have the same names as items you're
> 	 moving.  Do you want to replace them with the onces you're moving?"

>Could cause some alarm, especially if the user takes it at face value (i.e.,
>moving = copy + delete).

At face value, replacing with the on(c)es you're moving means exactly that ->
I'm going to wipe out (replace) the stuff with the ones I'm copying across
(moving). So what's the alarm?

I do think the default should be "Cancel" tho'.
--
//  Norton Chia || I can be reached via e-mail  -->  norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU /
/ Micro Support || Yes, this is Australia calling. //////  AppleLink: AUST0240 /

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (06/10/91)

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) replies:
>At face value, replacing with the on(c)es you're moving means exactly that ->
>I'm going to wipe out (replace) the stuff with the ones I'm copying across
>(moving). So what's the alarm?

But you're not moving them. You're copying them. If you were
moving a file, you'd still only have one of it. But if you copy it to
another disk, you have two of it.
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes:

>>rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>>>The setup: copying files to a disk which already has identical files on it.
>>>The resulting dialog:
>>>	"Some items in this location have the same names as items you're
>>> 	 moving.  Do you want to replace them with the onces you're moving?"
>>>Could cause some alarm, especially if the user takes it at face value (i.e.,
>>>moving = copy + delete).

>norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) replies:
>>At face value, replacing with the on(c)es you're moving means exactly that ->
>>I'm going to wipe out (replace) the stuff with the ones I'm copying across
>>(moving). So what's the alarm?

>But you're not moving them. You're copying them. If you were
>moving a file, you'd still only have one of it. But if you copy it to
>another disk, you have two of it.

Well, I don't know of any "move" command in the Finder. I'm suggesting it's
either the metaphor that's got to change, or your perception of "moving"
an icon that's got to change. Nevertheless, I think we'd all agree that
we would want a more forgiving Finder that will say things like (as was
bounced about on the net some time ago) that it should ask if we want the
files on the target disk to be removed, or give us the option to "move
and rename".

At least it asks you if you wanted to replace them... Bloody Unix just does
it - BANG!! Oh, sorry, Unix is for "experts" who know what they're doing
and do not need some pissy Finder questioning their motives. :) At least
they have both a "copy" and "move". Q: How would you rename a file from
X to Y?  A: You type m(o)v(e) X Y. Of course unless Y is a directory, in
that case, you'll be moving X "into" Y. :)

PS  I love these complaints about the Mac, it keeps Apple developers on their
    toes and shows how much we use (tempted to say love) the Mac as well! :)

Cheers,
--

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (06/10/91)

[norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:]
[] Well, I don't know of any "move" command in the Finder. I'm suggesting it's
[] either the metaphor that's got to change, or your perception of "moving"
[] ...

perhaps the wording could change for those who would confuse
moving and copying but it should be noted that on the Mac
(Finder) copying files has never implied moving.  the confusion
is introduced by ... let's say, outsiders ...

and yes, the default should be to protect the files involved, since
you could use the default (repeatedly) and if it wasn't what you
wanted then you could back and do it right the next time.
this is, of course, less convenient than the current method.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

sho@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (06/11/91)

The Macintosh thought police wannabe speaks:

The system software *does* make a clear distinction between moving and
copying.  For example, the movable modal dialog that appears is either
named move or named copy.  Because of this, we should never use the
word move when we mean "move or copy."

If, by using the word move, we are referring to the physical action
done by the user, we should use the word "drag."

  "Some items in this location have the same names as items you're
   dragging.  Do you want to replace them with the ones you're dragging?"

Since "dragging" is such a horrible word, I'd prefer to have the
dialog use the words "moving" and "copying" as appropriate.

It's not so such a big deal...  It's just that making this one simple
change would make the interface just a little better.  And it's these
little things which add up to give us the macintosh interface.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu <<-- Favorite example of inconsistent
                            interface: IBM's Abort, Retry, or Ignore.

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (06/11/91)

In article <13360@pt.cs.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:

>[norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:]
>[] Well, I don't know of any "move" command in the Finder. I'm suggesting it's
>[] either the metaphor that's got to change, or your perception of "moving"
>[] ...

>perhaps the wording could change for those who would confuse
>moving and copying but it should be noted that on the Mac
>(Finder) copying files has never implied moving.  the confusion
>is introduced by ... let's say, outsiders ...

Not so.  The Finder now sometimes puts up dialogs that say "Moving."
Of course, this is only when it's doing stuff inside suitcases (at
least that's the only time I've seen it), but the different metaphor
is there now.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

franklin@snowball.ucdavis.edu (Paul Franklin) (06/12/91)

In article <13360@pt.cs.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>perhaps the wording could change for those who would confuse
>moving and copying but it should be noted that on the Mac
>(Finder) copying files has never implied moving.  the confusion
>is introduced by ... let's say, outsiders ...

Except that if you move/copy many items at once, you get a movable
modal dialog indicating the progress that specifically specifies moving
(within a disk) or copying (to another disk).

--Paul Franklin
  pdfranklin@ucdavis.edu