[comp.sys.mac.system] What does "Use Physical Icon" mean?

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (06/11/91)

In the LAYO resource of the finder (Sys. 6.0.5), there is a button to
"use physical icon". What is this and how does it work?

Is it a way to assign icons to individual disks or files?

Thanks, Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

Sari Khoury <3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> (06/12/91)

"Use Physical Icon" means instead of using the Disk icon for a floppy disk when
you mount it, it will use the Icon of your type of Mac. For instance, if you ha
ve a Mac SE, when you stick in a disk, it will show a Mac SE with an arrow
pointing to the bottom slot where the floppy disk drive is.

-Sari
Sari Khoury                  Art Department
3xmqgaa@cmuvm.bitnet         Central Michigan University

b2676870@rick.cs.ubc.ca (wilson w ma) (06/12/91)

In article <43152@cup.portal.com> ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
>In the LAYO resource of the finder (Sys. 6.0.5), there is a button to
>"use physical icon". What is this and how does it work?
>
>Is it a way to assign icons to individual disks or files?

"Use Physical Icon" only affects floppies. If you have "Use Physical Icon"
enabled, the Finder will use an icon of the physical location of the floppy
instead of the usual floppy icon. The icon that is shown is similar to the
one that is displayed when you format a disk. I.e., it is a picture of your
particular Mac with a little arrow pointing to the drive.
The System 7 finder don't seem to have "Use Physical Icon" anymore. I really
miss it since I find it more useful.

>Thanks, Isaac
>isw@cup.portal.com

George Chow

lamont@convex.com (Bradley Lamont) (06/12/91)

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:

>In the LAYO resource of the finder (Sys. 6.0.5), there is a button to
>"use physical icon". What is this and how does it work?

>Is it a way to assign icons to individual disks or files?

This changes the floppy (maybe the hard disk also) icons in the finder
so that instead of the standard disk icon, they use the computer icon
with an arrow pointing to the drive that the disk belongs to.  These are
the same icons that are shown when you try to format a floppy disk.

It is useful if you have a couple of floppys and want to know which disk
is in which drive.

Hope this helps,
Brad Lamont

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/12/91)

writes:
> In the LAYO resource of the finder (Sys. 6.0.5), there is a button to
> "use physical icon". What is this and how does it work?

Mounted volumes normally have their own icons. The generic floppy icon
looks like a floppy, of course, and there are various ways to imbue
individual floppies with custom icons. Hard disks have their icons in
their driver software.

But sometimes it's nice to know where that floppy or hard drive is. The
system contains icons that indicate which drive a floppy is in, or whether
a hard disk is internal or external. These are the "physical icons".
Setting that bit in the LAYO will cause the Finder to use those icons
instead of the usual ones.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."
 After an attempt at recovering, we got up the next day for the circuit race.
> This race was two 16.1 mile loops starting near the intersection of Minaret
> and 203, up to the Scenic Loop,...

Good any time for a serious taste of hypoxic delirium.  The brain turns
into bread dough, the lungs turn into garbage, and the legs feel just
fine 'cause they aren't really doing anything.

> ...out to 395.... There was a very long, fast descent.

Yeah!  With beautiful fast sweeping turns, down through the Jeffrey pines,
on and on!  Too bad you had to turn around and go back up it... ;^)

Sometime when you're touring, just turn left when you get to 395 and go
ride the June Lake Loop.  Yum!

David Casseres