[comp.sys.mac.system] Opening DAs in the current layer

emj@atop.caltech.edu (ed johnson) (06/11/91)

How does one go about making DAs open in the current layer (i.e. without
spawning a new "process").  Microphone 3.0 does this with its MicroEditor
so maybe it has something to do with having a da installed into an app?
I remember reading something about using F/DAM 4.1 to install into the
System file, then holding down option while selectin the DA.  I may have
this wrong; in any case, it doesn't work (for me).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, how does it work?  Many thanks in
advance

Ed Johnson

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (06/12/91)

In article <emj.676617627@atop> emj@atop.caltech.edu (ed johnson) writes:
>How does one go about making DAs open in the current layer (i.e. without
>spawning a new "process").  Microphone 3.0 does this with its MicroEditor
>so maybe it has something to do with having a da installed into an app?

Hold down the option key while selecting the DA.  An odd thing about
this is that it only works every other time - exactly!  Does anyone know
about this strange behavior?

--
Andy Peterman                       |  Everything you know
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  |       is wrong!

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (06/12/91)

I was hoping you could still open DA's with an application and not as
a separate system 7.0 process!  It's aggravating to try picking
printer when you're out of (5Mb of) memory.  This could lead to "user
deadlock" -- You need to print before exiting, but you need to exit in
order to print?

With FOP light & the deskwriter, you are changing the printer driver
all the time, consequently, the chooser needs to be active nearly all
the time.  It seems to swallow up at least 100K of memory.

Don Gillies - gillies@cs.uiuc.edu - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign