[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 too much for SE & Imagewriter?

jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker -- Vice President, UNO ACE) (06/10/91)

Help! I've run into problems with a Mac SE (System 7) trying to print
a MSWord document and taking unusual waiting periods between printing
each line.

Setup: Mac SE, 2MBytes RAM, 40 MB HD, Imagewriter II via printer port,
       no AppleTalk running.
       Running MSWord 4.0 on a fresh System 7 (no extra apps running, etc.)

Problem: Tried to print a 3k, 1 page document of text in word to the
	 Imagewriter and it chokes - taking 5-10 seconds of delay time
	 per line - on best quality mode. Turned to "faster" and it
	 still chokes, but not as bad.

I checked the finder - the machine shouldn't be having memory problems
since the finder is only taking up 997k and MSWord approx. 550k.

This problem didn't exist under System 6.07, so I doubt it's a hardware-
related problem.

Is this normal performance for a 68000 under System 7? Or is this
one of those Microsoft things? :-)  Will upgrading this machine to
4MBytes help at all or is it just stuck with a slow processor?

Many hearty thanks in advance...

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jamie Saker				    jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Internet).
Vice President 			    	 	jsaker@unoma1 (BITNET).
Director, Information Services						      .
UNO Association of Collegiate Entrepreneurs				      .
									      .
CBA 503, UNO		"No Red Beads until further notice. Failure	      .
Omaha, NE  68182	to comply will result in immediate termination."      .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ifberger@cnedcu51.bitnet (Pierre-Yves Berger) (06/12/91)

In article <16078.28527b0d@zeus.unomaha.edu>, jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker -- Vice President, UNO ACE) writes:

> Help! I've run into problems with a Mac SE (System 7) trying to print
> a MSWord document and taking unusual waiting periods between printing
> each line.
>
> Setup: Mac SE, 2MBytes RAM, 40 MB HD, Imagewriter II via printer port,
>        no AppleTalk running.
>        Running MSWord 4.0 on a fresh System 7 (no extra apps running, etc.)
>
> Problem: Tried to print a 3k, 1 page document of text in word to the
> 	 Imagewriter and it chokes - taking 5-10 seconds of delay time
> 	 per line - on best quality mode. Turned to "faster" and it
> 	 still chokes, but not as bad.
>
> I checked the finder - the machine shouldn't be having memory problems
> since the finder is only taking up 997k and MSWord approx. 550k.
>
> Is this normal performance for a 68000 under System 7? Or is this
> one of those Microsoft things? :-)  Will upgrading this machine to
> 4MBytes help at all or is it just stuck with a slow processor?

No, I have the same problems with the same setup except 4MB RAM !

I'm printing with 6.0.5 started on disk.

--
Pierre-Yves Berger
ifberger@cnedcu51.bitnet