[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple on the net

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (06/07/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Jun6144251@daisy.uchicago.edu> francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <1991May29.011256.28849@news.media.mit.edu> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>
>>Perhaps part of the attitude of the people who post here is due exactly to the
>>fact that nobody who's equipped to do anything about the problems we discuss
>>reads netnews?  If Mr. Sculley would take the time out of his day (it doesn't
>>take all that long, after all) to read netnews, he might realize that there
>
>Excuse me, but what news do you read that "doesn't take that long?"
>
> [mentions that he spends 45+ minutes on c.s.m.* with gnus daily]
>
>I do feel that Apple should hire somebody specifically to represent
>them on the various nets (maybe they could take on the FTP site, make
>it official), but the CEO is not the person to do that.

Please note that I made this exact suggestion about a paragraph below where
you cut me off up above.  :-)  Point taken, though.  The CEO isn't the one to
do it.

While I don't spend as much time on netnews as you do, I agree that Apple
should hire somebody to keep his/her fingers on the pulse of the nets.

I maintain that people probably flame here because they see Apple as an
insensitive corporate monolith rather than a "Computer for the Rest of Us"
company.  This is NOT true of the development guys, who are, judging from
those I've met, really cool.  As for management, well, I'll let their record
speak.

sands@apple.com (Michael Sands) (06/13/91)

Please do not assume that people at Apple do not read the news.  And please do
not assume that we are not interested.

We get bugs from many sources.  Some who find bugs will take the time
to isolate them, describe exactly what they were doing, and give us
enough information to recreate them.  These bugs get attention.

Some bugs have no description.  "I opened my application and it bombed.  Why?"
No mention of what system, computer, application, etc.

The posters here are usually smarter than the average bear.  I am responsible
for frame buffers and accelerators, among them the 8*24 GC card.  I am
usually busy trying to ship the products.  Ocasionally I will read the net
to see if anything has come up concerning products I should develop, am
developing, or have developed.  This is what I am doing now.  But I do
not have a lot of time and there are better mechanisms to get to me.  (Be
persistent with the dealer and get their help.  Write Apple if you do not
get satisfaction.  Call me...no...strike that...er...you have a point!)

Michael