[comp.sys.mac.system] HELP! network printing with sys 6 AND 7 ???

pas1@kepler.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) (06/11/91)

We're running an appletalk network with a networked LaserWriter IINTX.
How can we print to this printer from macs running BOTH systems 6 AND
7.0 without getting that annoying "printer reinitialization" request
from the system?

Paul A. Simoneau            | "Well, this one goes to eleven."
pas1@kepler.unh.edu         |         - Nigel Tuffnel, Spinal Tap
University of New Hampshire |
Phi Kappa Sigma brother, CS major, guitarist-at-large, Monty Python addict.

ccastd2@prism.gatech.EDU (Dale Phurrough) (06/11/91)

pas1@kepler.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:

>We're running an appletalk network with a networked LaserWriter IINTX.
>How can we print to this printer from macs running BOTH systems 6 AND
>7.0 without getting that annoying "printer reinitialization" request
>from the system?

Ah, one of the most frequent questions on the net.

I recommend upgrading your printer driver on S6 to 6.1 from 5.2 (which
you have now).  The 6.1 versions are also available on ftp.apple.com in
one of the directories.  I cannot remember it right now.  It is an
additional disk that supports typetype and is initialization compat.
with S7.  The disk is /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/mac-printing-tools.hqx.

If you want you CAN also use 6.1 with S7, but there is no need to.

Lamborghini Diablo ===---->  the latest and fastest....
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastd2
Internet: ccastd2@prism.gatech.edu
--

ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.131841.24522@unhd.unh.edu>, pas1@kepler.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes...
>We're running an appletalk network with a networked LaserWriter IINTX.
>How can we print to this printer from macs running BOTH systems 6 AND
>7.0 without getting that annoying "printer reinitialization" request
>from the system?

Those who 'prefer' to use sys 6.whatever can use the Printing Disk that
comes with the Seven installer set to upgrade their printer drivers.

This is a situation that I am faced with also.
What I am wondering is:
Do any applications have trouble with the new Seven drivers?
Personally I would like to tell people that use such things to
get a loan so they can buy a clue.  However as things stand computer
support must remain friendly.

Has anyone had any trouble with the Seven print drivers?
Thanks.
I'll summarize if ti warrants.
Ant Man!
Dan LaSota
ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu

Juha.Hyvonen@hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (06/12/91)

In article <31120@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastd2@prism.gatech.EDU (Dale
Phurrough) writes:
+------------------------
! pas1@kepler.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:
!
! >We're running an appletalk network with a networked LaserWriter IINTX.
! >How can we print to this printer from macs running BOTH systems 6 AND
! >7.0 without getting that annoying "printer reinitialization" request
! >from the system?
!
! Ah, one of the most frequent questions on the net.
!
! I recommend upgrading your printer driver on S6 to 6.1 from 5.2 (which
! you have now).  The 6.1 versions are also available on ftp.apple.com in
! one of the directories.  I cannot remember it right now.  It is an
! additional disk that supports typetype and is initialization compat.
! with S7.  The disk is /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/mac-printing-tools.hqx.
!........................

John Norstad's free document "How to Install System 7" recommends you
upgrade with the System 7 "Printing" disk.

	   / (.__o
	  /_/ __/		..
	! /  !		Juha.Hyvonen@hut.fi	(juh@cs.hut.fi)
	!/ ) !
	 ------

lafourca@imag.fr (06/12/91)

writes:
>pas1@kepler.unh.edu (Paul A Simoneau) writes:

>I recommend upgrading your printer driver on S6 to 6.1 from 5.2 (which
>you have now).  The 6.1 versions are also available on ftp.apple.com in
>one of the directories.  I cannot remember it right now.  It is an
>additional disk that supports typetype and is initialization compat.
>with S7.  The disk is /dts/mac/sys.soft/truetype/mac-printing-tools.hqx.
>
>If you want you CAN also use 6.1 with S7, but there is no need to.

OK, but what I have to do if I want to use my printer inbackground ?

PrintMotor (version 6.1) shipped with the printing tool for LaserWriter
(version 6.1, too) is not "regognized" by the system 6.07 (french).

HEEEEEEEELP

Thanks in advance

M. Lafourcade
lafourca@imag.fr

ccastd2@prism.gatech.EDU (Dale Phurrough) (06/13/91)

lafourca@imag.fr writes:

>OK, but what I have to do if I want to use my printer inbackground ?

>PrintMotor (version 6.1) shipped with the printing tool for LaserWriter
>(version 6.1, too) is not "regognized" by the system 6.07 (french).

That is very strange because We have 24 SE's which cannot run S7 so
they run 6.0.7 and it uses the printmonitor and 6.1 drivers with no problem.

Be sure that printmonitor and lw 6.1 are in System folder and through
chooser you turn on background printing.