[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 aliases and grouping

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (05/29/91)

A couple of questions about System 7. I'm running both 6.0.7 and 7.0 on the
same drive and have a bunch of inits in the 6.0.7 system folder with aliases
in the 7.0 system folder. Even though the inits work if they are copied into
the 7.0 folder, the aliases do not work. Is this the expected operation?

I've also found that grouping an application with a document and double-
clicking on one of them does not open the document in the selected application
but instead opens the document in the associated application as well as
opening the selected application. Eg., select a stuffit document and disk
doubler expand and double-click. In 6.0.7 DDE would unstuff the document.
In 7.0 Unstuffit will open the document and DDE will launch in the background.
Is there any way to force the old action to take place? I really liked
unstuffing everything automatically by selecting everything and letting
DDE take over.

Thanks,
Mike Ching

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.224445.29017@amd.com>, ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) writes...

>same drive and have a bunch of inits in the 6.0.7 system folder with aliases
>in the 7.0 system folder. Even though the inits work if they are copied into
>the 7.0 folder, the aliases do not work. Is this the expected operation?

Yes. I asked this same question not too long ago. The upshot is that aliases
 are resolved by the SF dialogs and by the Finder. The INIT loading mechanism
 does not resolve aliases. As a point of information, INITs load from the
 Extensions folder, Control Panels folder, and the System folder, in that
 order. Within folders, they load alphabetically.

>I've also found that grouping an application with a document and double-
>clicking on one of them does not open the document in the selected application

Yes, I've noticed that too. The replacement mechanism is to drag the file(s)
 on top of the application (until the application's icon highlights). The
 types of files an application can handle are I think determined by it's BNDL
 resource. I hope someone else can elaborate on that.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu (Jeff Keegan) (05/30/91)

In article <5001@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>In article <1991May28.224445.29017@amd.com>, ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) writes...
>>
>>I've also found that grouping an application with a document and double-
>>clicking on one of them does not open the document in the selected application
>
>Yes, I've noticed that too. The replacement mechanism is to drag the file(s)
> on top of the application (until the application's icon highlights). The
> types of files an application can handle are I think determined by it's BNDL
> resource. I hope someone else can elaborate on that.
>
>Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
>--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
>A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

(Sorry I missed the first signature)

Well, here's a slight elaboration, though not as good as I could have done at
home with Inside Macintosh VI at my hands..

The system checks a special resource (if I remember correctly, but maybe it
was just the bundle resource) in the applications available to see if they
support the type.  It isn't done from the actual applications, though, it's
done from the database that is made when a disk is checked during a system-7
boot (after using system 6). Someone correct me if I remembered that completely
wrong...

But the reason I bothered posting a followup with such little solid knowledge
is because I wanted to mention an extension on ftp.apple.com (I actually
prefer calling it bric-a-brac.apple.com, but I may have misspelled(sp?) that
version) called Understudy that allows you (WITHOUT changing any applications)
to specify what types of files a specific application can handle (for the
drag-a-document-icon-onto-an-application-icon operation).  It also allows you
to specify what program will open a file type if the actual creater application
isn't found (for instance, set SoundEdit as the default for all FSSD-type
sound files made with SoundWave and Micro-something (what WAS that program
called??).. If you double click on the document and SoundWave, for instance,
wasn't available, an alert comes up asking about whether or not you'd like
to use SoundEdit instead (since the original was missing)..

This feature of the System 7 (initially provided with System-7 compatible
applications only (like the new TeachText)), was something I was waiting,
expecting, and hoping for in System-7....

..Jeff Keegan

p.s.  A word of warning.. There is as of now no user interface for Understudy
(at least not to my knowledge).  You must have ResEdit to use it effectively.

| Jeff Keegan                | I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed |
| jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu   | A wound that will not heal                     |
|----------------------------| A heart that cannot feel                       |
| This space intentionally   | Hoping that the horror will receed             |
| left blank                 | Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed  -RUSH |

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (05/31/91)

In article <5001@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>In article <1991May28.224445.29017@amd.com>, ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) writes...
>>

>Yes, I've noticed that too. The replacement mechanism is to drag the file(s)
> on top of the application (until the application's icon highlights). The
> types of files an application can handle are I think determined by it's BNDL
> resource. I hope someone else can elaborate on that.

I'll try.

In specific, I was used to selecting a bunch of SIT files and SittoCpt
and command-O. Previous (6.0.x) action was SittoCpt would convert them
in batch. 7.0 action was to bring up SittoCpt with no input AND unsit
with the first file.

I opened SittoCpt with ResEdit and added SIT! to the BNDL.
Rebuilt the Desktop.

Now I can select a bunch of SIT files, and then drag them to SittoCpt
and the SittoCpt Icon highlights. Release the mouse button while
SittoCpt is highlighted and it opens them all in batch like it used to.

I hope this is clear. It works just fine. I also added SIT! to the
BNDL of Compact Pro, so single SIT files can be dragged to Compact Pro in
the same manner. (Note by SIT I mean Stuffit 1.5.1 files).

Bye the way, I just got my upgrade notice for DiskDoubler. Yeah!

It's $15 plus $3 shipping plus tax. Free if you purchased after
April 15. Claimed up to 50% speed improvement, up to 25% size
improvement and System 7.0 compatibility. Word I've heard from
beta testors tend to support at least the size improvement
when using the added "type C" compression.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud  | Sys-

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (06/05/91)

The "drop to launch" function of system 7.0 is ok, but how can certain
applications pre-specify exactly which file types they accept?
Sometimes, only the user knows if an application can accept a certain
file type (i.e. a GIF created by some weirdo gif view with a weirdo
type).  This, unfortunately, is another example of "Backwardsware"
(loss of functionality) from Apple.

I was hoping that some day the finder would allow you to select and
launch a group of icons in DIFFERENT places (i.e. while holding down
shift, you could extend the selection to on icons in different folders
and on the desktop as well).  Unfortunately, system 7.0 hasn't
delivered this feature.  I hope it is being considered for system 8.0.
You still need the feature in order to launch an application with
source files from different places.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.024448.17286@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
|> The "drop to launch" function of system 7.0 is ok, but how can certain
|> applications pre-specify exactly which file types they accept?
|> Sometimes, only the user knows if an application can accept a certain
|> file type (i.e. a GIF created by some weirdo gif view with a weirdo
|> type).  This, unfortunately, is another example of "Backwardsware"
|> (loss of functionality) from Apple.
Get Understudy off ftp.apple.com (in dts/mac/hacks). It allows you
to set this up yourself (with a bit of ResEdit hacking). An example
of "Forwardsware"?
|> I was hoping that some day the finder would allow you to select and
|> launch a group of icons in DIFFERENT places (i.e. while holding down
|> shift, you could extend the selection to on icons in different folders
|> and on the desktop as well).  Unfortunately, system 7.0 hasn't
|> delivered this feature.  I hope it is being considered for system 8.0.
|> You still need the feature in order to launch an application with
|> source files from different places.
In list views, you can at least select any files on the same disk.
A step forward, especially with the new Find command (try its All
at Once option). For different disks, you are right - this is still a
problem - though aliases can be a help.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.024448.17286@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
>shift, you could extend the selection to on icons in different folders
>and on the desktop as well).  Unfortunately, system 7.0 hasn't
>delivered this feature.

I would be happy if finder windows didn't lose their selections when
they get sent behind.  Many times I have waded through a long
list of files, selecting the "Interesting" ones to move somewhere, only to
discover that I had to open some folders to find "somewhere".  Clicking
in any other window, however, cancels my selection.  Ick; the files
ought to get "reselected" when the window comes back to the front, just like
selections in any other application.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.024448.17286@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:

>The "drop to launch" function of system 7.0 is ok, but how can certain
>applications pre-specify exactly which file types they accept?
>Sometimes, only the user knows if an application can accept a certain
>file type (i.e. a GIF created by some weirdo gif view with a weirdo

A GIF reader can claim to handle any file type, and then ignore ones that
aren't GIF files.  That's what most of the programs do now.  With
Understudy, you can configure an app to handle the type '****'.

>type).  This, unfortunately, is another example of "Backwardsware"
>(loss of functionality) from Apple.

Perhaps this was done to support the Startup Items folder.  If you place an
application and a document there, you probably want to open each icon
individually.  By making this change, the things in the Startup Items folder
behave as if you did a Select All, followed by Open.

>I was hoping that some day the finder would allow you to select and
>launch a group of icons in DIFFERENT places (i.e. while holding down
>shift, you could extend the selection to on icons in different folders

What would it mean to drag that kinds of selection?  Some files would be
copied and others moved?  Or would you always copy (changing the semantics
of dragging an icon to another place on the same volume).

How do you display such a selection when some of the item may be in obscured
or closed windows?  It sounds like an easy feature to implement, but when
you start to think about it you run into issues such as these that have to
be resolved.

You can select files in different places by using the outline view (if on
the same volume) or by first dragging them onto the desktop and then using
Put Away.  If you want to open those files, then you can also create aliases
to them and put all the aliases in one folder.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (06/07/91)

In article <13893@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:

>What would it mean to drag that kinds of selection?  Some files would be
>copied and others moved?  Or would you always copy (changing the semantics
>of dragging an icon to another place on the same volume).

You could limit the shift-select ability to only those icons that are visible
in their repective windows.  Dragging icons from other volumes would result in
a copy, those from same windows would result in a dialog asking "Move or Copy?"

>How do you display such a selection when some of the item may be in obscured
>or closed windows?  It sounds like an easy feature to implement, but when
>you start to think about it you run into issues such as these that have to
>be resolved.

The issues aren't that hard to resolve if you don't limit the solutions to
only those that are obvious or workable by the least sophisticated user.
The great thing about having feedback from a large number of users is that
you can usually get good solutions for most of those problems.  The difficulty
comes when you have design considerations that they might not agree with.

I just wish we could get some of these features as "professional" options.  You
could even make them harder to get at so novices wouldn't nuke their machines
accidentally.

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun5.144805.29976@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <1991Jun5.024448.17286@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) writes:
>>shift, you could extend the selection to on icons in different folders
>>and on the desktop as well).  Unfortunately, system 7.0 hasn't
>>delivered this feature.
>
>I would be happy if finder windows didn't lose their selections when
>they get sent behind.  Many times I have waded through a long
>list of files, selecting the "Interesting" ones to move somewhere, only to
>discover that I had to open some folders to find "somewhere".  Clicking
>in any other window, however, cancels my selection.  Ick; the files
>ought to get "reselected" when the window comes back to the front, just like
>selections in any other application.

If you have a bunch of stuff selected in the Finder, and you want to go do
something else and come back to that selection, just choose a label you
aren't using from the labels menu.  Then, when you come back to that window,
view by label, and all the items you want will be grouped together.

Of course, this isn't exactly elegant, and it doesn't work unless you have
labels turned in in the Views control panel.

--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/13/91)

Seth Tisue writes:
>Steve Dorner writes:
>>I would be happy if finder windows didn't lose their selections when
>>they get sent behind.
>If you have a bunch of stuff selected in the Finder, and you want to go do
>something else and come back to that selection, just choose a label you
>aren't using from the labels menu.

Not a bad work-around.  It would give me some use for the Labels menu, anyway.

It really would be better if windows remembered their selections, though.
I'm awfully fond of that feature on my other computer; it saves a lot
of time and aggravation.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner