[comp.sys.mac.system] Hackintosh Pluses and System 7.0

hpa@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu ( Dameon Welch ) (06/12/91)

This message is intended to help people out who have a Hackintosh Plus
(i.e., a Mac 512ke upgraded to a Plus via third party hardware) and
are running System 7. If you're getting the following message below
(at startup), this message is for you:

"The driver for the selected Appletalk connection could not be found.
The built-in localtalk port will be used instead."

There are two ways to fix this problem -- both require the use of ResEdit.
Both of these methods work -- but they are not for the faint of heart.

Steve Meyer <G7D7K9@IRISHMVS.CC.ND.EDU> offers this method:

> Use ResEdit to open the System file (you get a message warning you
> to be careful, so click Ok), then open the DRVR resources, SELECT
> (don't open) the DRVR with the name ".ATP", then choose Clear from
> the Edit menu.  Close the System file and save changes.
> What this does is to cut out the AppleTalk driver from the system
> file.  I think the reason I was getting this message was that the
> AppleTalk driver was looking for an AppleTalk port, which it would have
> found if my machine had been a "real" MacPlus, but because my machine
> was originally a 512E it wasn't finding such a port and the
> AppleTalk Driver was complaining.  (I'm not certain about all that.)
> I haven't had any problems, and I stopped getting that message.  Note
> that if you do this, you won't be able to use AppleTalk (but I don't
> THINK that's possible on an upgraded 512E anyway, without a mother-
> board swap.  But I've never tryed to network with AppleTalk, since I
> don't have any other machines to network with.)

Fred Yeganeh <FYEGANEH%UMAB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>, on the other
hand, offers this method:

> Using Resedit open up the system file and find the resource labeled
> "lmgr" and open it up.  There will only be one type of that resource.
> Open this resource and do a find command for the following hex string :
> "612C 610E 554F 3F03 42A7 A988 544F 281F 4E75 7200"
> and change it to :
> "4E71 610E 4E71 4E71 4E71 4E71 4E71 281F 4E75 7200"
> save the new resource and don't worry about the dialog box warning
> about being unable to compress the resource.
>
> This patch prevents the alert box from interrupting and removing the
> startup screen and forcing you to wait to press the OK button.  However,
> it should allow the procedure to do its normal correction for the "error"
> it detected.

Personally, I prefer method 2 because it appears that you can still use
Appletalk, whereas with method 1 (removing the Appletalk Driver), you
can not.

Hope this helps some of you who have Hackintoshes and System 7.0 (like I
do, but I hope to be getting a new machine here really soon....)

Dameon Welch
GEnie: DWelch
Packet Radio: NH6TW@NH6SG.HI.USA.OC
Internet: hpa@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (06/14/91)

In article <13427@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> hpa@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu ( Dameon Welch ) writes:

>Steve Meyer <G7D7K9@IRISHMVS.CC.ND.EDU> offers this method:
>
>> file.  I think the reason I was getting this message was that the
>> AppleTalk driver was looking for an AppleTalk port, which it would have
>> found if my machine had been a "real" MacPlus, but because my machine
>> was originally a 512E it wasn't finding such a port and the

512Ke's have an AppleTalk port.

I think the problem is that 512Ke's are missing the extended parameter RAM
and the system stores the current AppleTalk link protocol ID (ie, LocalTalk,
EtherTalk, TokenTalk, ...) in PRAM.

>Personally, I prefer method 2 because it appears that you can still use
>Appletalk, whereas with method 1 (removing the Appletalk Driver), you
>can not.

That's probably the best approach.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.