[comp.sys.mac.system] Amusing dialog boxes, damaged fonts

Irv.Kanode@p3.f53.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Irv Kanode) (06/10/91)

>   However, one suitcase was damaged (it claimed).  What was amusing was the
> error message we got:
>
>   "Could not complete the command, because it is damaged"
>
>   Double-clicking the suitcase brings up the apropriate message, along the
> lines of "Couldn't open the suitcase because it is damaged."  Much better.
>
>   So, now the question is, what does it mean by damaged?  How do we fix it?
> We'd really like to get those fonts outta there.

Are you using SuitCase or something similar?  I have gotten the file damaged

message when the file in question is really OPEN or IN USE.

SuitCase may be using that font suitcase or something else may have it open.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!53.3!Irv.Kanode
Internet: Irv.Kanode@p3.f53.n114.z1.fidonet.org

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/10/91)

In article <13515.28538C9E@stjhmc.fidonet.org>
           Irv.Kanode@p3.f53.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Irv Kanode) writes:
  [someone else wrote:]
> >   Double-clicking the suitcase brings up the apropriate message, along the
> > lines of "Couldn't open the suitcase because it is damaged."  Much better.
> >
> >   So, now the question is, what does it mean by damaged?  How do we fix it?
> > We'd really like to get those fonts outta there.
>

> Are you using SuitCase or something similar?  I have gotten the file
> damaged message when the file in question is really OPEN or IN USE.
> SuitCase may be using that font suitcase or something else may have
> it open.

You also get that message if the fonts in the file have been compressed by
Suitcase II (really compressed by one of the programs that comes with
Suitcase).  Suitcase understands the font compression scheme, but the Finder
does not.
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/11/91)

>   Double-clicking the suitcase brings up the apropriate message, along the
> lines of "Couldn't open the suitcase because it is damaged."  Much better.

 I got this message on suitcases that had been "fixed" (see the Check/Fix
 option) with an older version of Font Harmony. Recreating the suitcase from
 originals and "fixing" it with the new, Truetype-aware Font Harmony fixed the
 problem.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

kik@isr.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (06/11/91)

In article <13515.28538C9E@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Irv.Kanode@p3.f53.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Irv Kanode) writes:
>>   However, one suitcase was damaged (it claimed).
>>   So, now the question is, what does it mean by damaged?  How do we fix it?
>> We'd really like to get those fonts outta there.
>
>Are you using SuitCase or something similar?  I have gotten the file damaged
>message when the file in question is really OPEN or IN USE.
>SuitCase may be using that font suitcase or something else may have it open.

Another possibility is that the bitmap fonts were compressed by Suitcase's
utility called "Font & Sound Valet."  It seems that only Suitcase can
uncompress and use these fonts, once they have been valet-compressed.
Which means, for example, you can't toss them inside the System 7 System file.
(This is yet another good reason to backup everything before doing anything
to anything.  If those were your only copies of the bitmaps, F&S Valet just
made you a Suitcase addict for life.)

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu

mason@habs11.enet.dec.com (Gary Mason) (06/11/91)

>Another possibility is that the bitmap fonts were compressed by Suitcase's
>utility called "Font & Sound Valet."  It seems that only Suitcase can
>uncompress and use these fonts, once they have been valet-compressed.
>Which means, for example, you can't toss them inside the System 7 System file.
>(This is yet another good reason to backup everything before doing anything
>to anything.  If those were your only copies of the bitmaps, F&S Valet just
>made you a Suitcase addict for life.)

While an earlier post of mine pointed out that a fix from MacWeek (using
Font/DA Mover 4.1 to copy fonts from an existing, "corrupted" suitcase to
a new one) remedied the problem for me, it turns out to be only partly
true.  I guess I don't know what the true metric for "working" is, but the
above mentioned fix worked in one case (allowed open on double click), but did
not work in another case.  In fact, in the failed case, the suitcase changed
from about 600K to over 840K after Mover copy, and still didn't work. In
neither case did I try to move the result to the System file.

Cheers...Gary
mason@habs11.enet.dec.com

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (06/14/91)

In <1991Jun11.025615.27273@burrhus.harvard.edu> kik@isr.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) writes:

>Another possibility is that the bitmap fonts were compressed by Suitcase's
>utility called "Font & Sound Valet."  It seems that only Suitcase can
>uncompress and use these fonts, once they have been valet-compressed.
>Which means, for example, you can't toss them inside the System 7 System file.
>(This is yet another good reason to backup everything before doing anything
>to anything.  If those were your only copies of the bitmaps, F&S Valet just
>made you a Suitcase addict for life.)

This isn't true.  If you use Font/DA Mover to copy
Suitcase-compressed bitmapped fonts while Suitcase is running,
Suitcase will decompress them as FDAM reads them and won't
recompress as it writes.  You then have a decompressed font
which can be dropped into the System file.

Jeremy Roussak