[comp.sys.mac.system] Bug ?

ralph@cm.cf.ac.uk (06/12/91)

Rock solid - or built on sand ? :-)

It seems highly likely there is a bug in system 7, the system 7 finder, or
system 7 disk first aid. Here's what happened.

I backed up my hard disk onto tape using fastback II v2.5 (it works if VM
is off). I then erased my disk from the finder. I then restored my disk. I
then ran disk first aid to check, and low and behold, DFA said that my disk
was damaged, and that it was unable to repair the disk. (In detail, it
complained about an invalid sibling link).

I did NOTHING else in between the restore and running DFA, so it seems
highly likely that one or other of the system components above is
responsible for screwing up my directory.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to (a) what is wrong (b) how I can fix
it if possible - the disk contains some data I don't want to lose! :-)

Ralph

eksa02@castle.ed.ac.uk (P J Hutton) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.080836.25346@cm.cf.ac.uk> ralph@cm.cf.ac.uk writes:
>It seems highly likely there is a bug in system 7, the system 7 finder, or
>system 7 disk first aid. Here's what happened.
>
>I backed up my hard disk onto tape using fastback II v2.5 (it works if VM
>is off). I then erased my disk from the finder. I then restored my disk. I
>then ran disk first aid to check, and low and behold, DFA said that my disk
>was damaged, and that it was unable to repair the disk. (In detail, it
>complained about an invalid sibling link).
>
>I did NOTHING else in between the restore and running DFA, so it seems
>highly likely that one or other of the system components above is
>responsible for screwing up my directory.

Isn't it more likely that the fault lies with the backup software?  From
what's been described I can't really see how FastBack can be ruled out.
Call me suspicious, but I reckon if you've got to turn off bits of the
system to make something work, then there's another bit just waiting to
trip it up.

Paul

disclaimer:  I'm not saying system 7 is rock solid, just that it works
for me.

ralph@cm.cf.ac.uk (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.080836.25346@cm.cf.ac.uk> ralph@cm.cf.ac.uk writes:
>It seems highly likely there is a bug in system 7, the system 7 finder, or
>system 7 disk first aid. Here's what happened.
>
>I backed up my hard disk onto tape using fastback II v2.5 (it works if VM
>is off). I then erased my disk from the finder. I then restored my disk. I
>then ran disk first aid to check, and low and behold, DFA said that my disk
>was damaged, and that it was unable to repair the disk. (In detail, it
>complained about an invalid sibling link).
>
>I did NOTHING else in between the restore and running DFA, so it seems
>highly likely that one or other of the system components above is
>responsible for screwing up my directory.

It turns out that I had left NORTON FileSaver going, and after backing up and
restoring, the filesaver files were on a new place on the disk. Filesaver "to
be efficient" somehow remembers where its files are on the disk, and hence it
wrote in the wrong place. This screwed up the directory.
After slinging out the filesaver files, everything went ok again.

So, an apology is in order to Apple. Maybe system 7 is rock solid after all!
And a raspberry to Norton for making damaging assumptions!

Ralph