[comp.sys.mac.system] Why does Resedit.Scrap appear in trash?

ireland@ac.dal.ca (06/12/91)

Everytime I restart my mac after having used Resedit 2.1 in the previous
session there is a folder in the trash called "Rescued items from myDriveName".
In this folder is a file called "Resedit.Scrap".  Having something appear
in the trash that I didn't put there is slightly annoying.  Is this expected
behavior or am I doing something wrong?  I am using System 7.

Keith Conover
ireland@ac.dal.ca

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.153430.492@ac.dal.ca>, ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:

> Everytime I restart my mac after having used Resedit 2.1 in the previous
> session there is a folder in the trash called "Rescued items from myDriveName".
> In this folder is a file called "Resedit.Scrap".  Having something appear
> in the trash that I didn't put there is slightly annoying.  Is this expected
> behavior or am I doing something wrong?  I am using System 7.

You are doing nothing wrong. ResEdit 2.1 has a bug. System 7 aware applications
may use a "special" folder called "Temporary Items" that can be found at the
root level of each hard disk. They can put temporary files here. ResEdit
does this for things on the clipboard. The application is responsible for
deleting such items when it is done with them.

When your Mac shuts down (or starts up, I forget which), it checks the contents
of the "Temporary Items" folder. If there are contents, it assumes that some
application had crashed, leaving it's temporary items laying around. It moves
all such items into a folder in your Trash (for that volume) and names it
appropriatly ("Rescued Items from myDriveName"). The hope is that clever
System 7 aware applications may recognize when this happens, and try to restore
any potentially lost work.

The technical details of how this works, along with information about how to
locate and use these folders can be found on pages 9-40 to 9-44 of Inside
Macintosh Volume VI (the Finder Interface chaapter).

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -

neal@farcomp.UUCP (Neal Trautman) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun11.153430.492@ac.dal.ca> ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Everytime I restart my mac after having used Resedit 2.1 in the previous
>session there is a folder in the trash called "Rescued items from myDriveName".
>In this folder is a file called "Resedit.Scrap".  Having something appear
>in the trash that I didn't put there is slightly annoying.  Is this expected
>behavior or am I doing something wrong?  I am using System 7.
>
>Keith Conover
>ireland@ac.dal.ca

This is a bug in the current version of ResEdit and should be fixed in the
next release.

Neal Trautman
neal@farallon.com