[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 6/7 & Laserwriter Driver

t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu (06/06/91)

In the 5.14.91 Volume 5 No. 19 MacWeek page 8 of the System 7 suppliment it
talks about problems with mixed 6 & 7 environments. The main problem it points
out is that if you run in a mixed System 6/7 environment and are using the v7
LaserWriter driver that you must initialize the laserwriters from a Mac running
system 7 or you will have LaserWriter crashing problems!

Typically what happens is that the LaserWriter will go off into never-never
land while trying to print.

We have confirmed that this is a problem and a REAL HASTLE to us because only a
few people are switched over to system 7 so far. This seems like a bug to me in
the new driver. Can anyone at APPLE comment on this and if a fix is at hand.

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (06/13/91)

t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu writes:

[the context is LW 6.0.x vs. LW 7.0]

>We have confirmed that this is a problem and a REAL HASTLE to us
>because only a few people are switched over to system 7 so far. This
>seems like a bug to me in the new driver. Can anyone at APPLE comment
>on this and if a fix is at hand.

The printer update Installer-script that ships with 7.0 can be used to
upgrade Macs with LW 6.0.x to LaserWriter 7.0. Backgrounder,
PrintMonitor, and LaserWriter are replaced, Laser Prep is removed.
About two weeks ago I upgraded all the Macs on our Edit network to LW
7 and have had no problems to speak of.

The trick is to declare spurious LaserWriter resetting a shooting
offence, thereby making all the non-upgrade-niks come out of the
woodwork. I don't know if this is feasible at your site.

Otherwise, declare certain printers LW 7.0 printers and others LW
6.0.x printers. This worked for us in the period of 7.0b1 until 7.0GM.

Finally, don't forget that once everyone is running LW 7.0, the whole
printer reset hell issue will be a thing of the past.

Stephan Somogyi                   net.nerd                     MacUser

t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu (06/16/91)

In article <43257@cup.portal.com> MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan -
Somogyi) writes:
>t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu writes:
>
>[the context is LW 6.0.x vs. LW 7.0]
>
>>We have confirmed that this is a problem and a REAL HASTLE to us
>>because only a few people are switched over to system 7 so far. This
>>seems like a bug to me in the new driver. Can anyone at APPLE comment
>>on this and if a fix is at hand.

stuff ommited

>The trick is to declare spurious LaserWriter resetting a shooting
>offence, thereby making all the non-upgrade-niks come out of the
>woodwork. I don't know if this is feasible at your site.

This is not feasable. People have to be able to restart a printer if a job
hangs.

>Otherwise, declare certain printers LW 7.0 printers and others LW
>6.0.x printers. This worked for us in the period of 7.0b1 until 7.0GM.
>
>Finally, don't forget that once everyone is running LW 7.0, the whole
>printer reset hell issue will be a thing of the past.

Thats fine when that happens, but it won't happen here real fast. In the
mean time there are some who must continue to use their new 7.0

>Stephan Somogyi                   net.nerd                     MacUser

As it appears so far, I believe the problem to be that the 6.0x must be a
6.05 or greater. We have some 6.02s, 03s, and 04s besides a lot of 6.05s.
I performed a test by upgrading one user to 6.05 and the problem appears to
have gone away for him. I think Apple only tested it for 6.07.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah
t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu