[comp.sys.mac.system] Lost External Drive Icon..:

ian@umiami.ir.miami.edu (06/16/91)

I'm not sure if this belongs here..but anyways..
We wer messing around with an external hard-drive the other day(It's quantum)
Trying to paste a new icon into it's get info box...we could copy from another
get info box...or ResEdit...but as soon as we got into the Drives get info
dialog the paste option just greyed out...so my quick witted colleague went
and deleted the Icon Resource from the Icon file on the Drive...The one where
the Masking Icon is stored I believe..So anyway now it should come up with the
normal icon ...Maybe... nope now we get a unknown file icon...Text Only Icon
or some such..And we still can't paste an icon into it's Info Dialog...very
wierd...I don't think it's affecting the drives performance..how could it..
but it is annoying to have the Text only Icon for it...
Anyone have an idea?
Thanx in advance
--
Scruffy
Ian Sullivan

ccocsme@prism.gatech.EDU (StatMan) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.202806.10648@umiami.ir.miami.edu> ian@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:
>I'm not sure if this belongs here..but anyways..
>We wer messing around with an external hard-drive the other day(It's quantum)
>Trying to paste a new icon into it's get info box...we could copy from another
>get info box...or ResEdit...but as soon as we got into the Drives get info
>dialog the paste option just greyed out...so my quick witted colleague went
>and deleted the Icon Resource from the Icon file on the Drive...The one where
>the Masking Icon is stored I believe..So anyway now it should come up with the
>normal icon ...Maybe... nope now we get a unknown file icon...Text Only Icon
>or some such..And we still can't paste an icon into it's Info Dialog...very
>wierd...I don't think it's affecting the drives performance..how could it..
>but it is annoying to have the Text only Icon for it...
>Anyone have an idea?
>Thanx in advance

   Yes, this happened to me to. What happens is that the invisible 'Icon'
file has five or six characters that aren't seen. So when you try to rebuild
that icon file, the system will always return with a file not found error
because you dont have the inivisible characters. What I did to correct this
was to paste a custom icon onto a floppy, and then use resedit to make it
visible, then dragged the icon file from the floppy to the hard drive, then
make it invisible using resedit.

   Remember, when copying a custom icon to paste, you need to go all the
to the fatbits editor and copy the icon from there. You should be then able
to see the custom icon in the clipboard before you do a paste.
--
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore..." -- Dorothy Gale

Marty Esterman                                ccocsme@prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech - Home of the 1990 NCAA Football National Champions