[comp.sys.mac.system] interleave factor for Mac Plus

francois@welch.jhu.edu (Francois Schiettecatte) (06/15/91)

I have a question about interleave factor for hard disks.
Given the speed of the Mac Plus when accessing the SCSI
bus, what would be the optimal interleave factor I should
use to format my hard drive.

I have a standard Mac Plus with a 80 Mb quantum drive.
I know enough about interleave factor to know that if
it is less than optimal, performance can degrade a lot.
On my PC I could use the formating program to test the
hard drive and let the program choose the best interleave
factor but I have looked at both Silverlinning and the
Apple SC setup and neither offer that possibility, of
testing the drive I mean, they can both set the interleave
factor.

Does anybody have any thoughts, what is Apple's suggestion on
the matter?

francois

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.134800.2012@welch.jhu.edu> francois@welch.jhu.edu (Francois Schiettecatte) writes:
>I have a question about interleave factor for hard disks.
>Given the speed of the Mac Plus when accessing the SCSI
>bus, what would be the optimal interleave factor I should
>use to format my hard drive.
>
>I have a standard Mac Plus with a 80 Mb quantum drive.
>I know enough about interleave factor to know that if
>it is less than optimal, performance can degrade a lot.
>On my PC I could use the formating program to test the
>hard drive and let the program choose the best interleave
>factor but I have looked at both Silverlinning and the
>Apple SC setup and neither offer that possibility, of
>testing the drive I mean, they can both set the interleave
>factor.

The customary advice for the Mac Plus is to use 3:1 interleaving. This
advice applies only to drives without caching, however. Since you've
got a Quantum drive, you've probably got an on-board cache. Last I
looked, such drives won't even let you tinker with the interleaving
since you can only hurt performance that way.

--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142