[comp.sys.mac.system] "Can't create desktop file"

cliff@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (06/11/91)

My MACII started crashing, so I attempted to rebuild the desktop and
got a "can't create desktop file" message. I get this every time I try to
mount the disk. Silverlining doesn't think anything is wrong with the drive.
Any suggestions?
						-cliff

--
Cliff Spencer 		cspencer@spdcc.com

ralph@cm.cf.ac.uk (06/17/91)

In article <7809@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> cliff@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:

>My MACII started crashing, so I attempted to rebuild the desktop and
>got a "can't create desktop file" message. I get this every time I try to
>mount the disk. Silverlining doesn't think anything is wrong with the drive.
>Any suggestions?
>                                                -cliff
>
>--
>Cliff Spencer           cspencer@spdcc.com

A few possibilities spring to mind, especially (a) and (b) below:
(a) Is there enough room left on the disk?
(b) If it is a very big disk, have you allocated enough memory for the
    finder to be able to do the job?
(c) The disk directory structure is so corrupt the finder can't create ANY
    files on that disk.

Ralph