[comp.sys.mac.system] About !Text_Fi.le, et al

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (06/18/91)

Hello.

From my impression, when you clicked on the title in a Get Info box
and it showed you a cryptic/MS-DOS-ish "filename," it indeed was the way that
the famed Desktop Manager stores the filename and keeps track of large
libraries of files.  The reason I have this impression is this feature
is present in the 6.0.x "init" version of the desktop manager that comes with
an AppleShare server.

Since File Sharing is actually an AppleShare server in the background
(don't quote me here, but it amazingly is...hehe...), it probably has something
to do with desktop manager and AppleShare like the 6.0 stuff did.

Am I right, Apple?

Steve

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (06/18/91)

In article <15538@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:
>From my impression, when you clicked on the title in a Get Info box
>and it showed you a cryptic/MS-DOS-ish "filename," it indeed was the way that
>the famed Desktop Manager stores the filename and keeps track of large
>libraries of files.  The reason I have this impression is this feature
>is present in the 6.0.x "init" version of the desktop manager that comes with
>an AppleShare server.

It's got nothing to do with the Desktop Manager.  What appears to be
happening is that when you click on the filename, the Finder shows you the
"MS-DOS version" of the file's name; that is, the way a person using
Appleshare PC would see the name.  The Fileshare software keeps track of
both the "long" and the "short" names of files, with us lucky Mac users getting
to use the long version.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145