[comp.sys.mac.system] Why does 24-bits => 8 MB RAM use; also a 24-bit story

samuels@halibut.nosc.mil (Lawrence J. Samuels) (06/14/91)

I'm sorry to repeat this 'frequently-asked question' (hey, maybe
we need out _own_ FAQ list! -) ), but why, oh why, is it
that 24-bit machines, such as my IIcx, can 'use' only 8MB of
physical RAM?  As we've all heard too many times, 2^24 = 16 MB, etc.,
but in 24-bit mode, RAM above 8 MB can't be used, as I understand.
(Not fully accurate, but I want to keep the question brief.)

I thank you in advance for an answer to this question.  Perhaps I
can offer you all an amusing, but somewhat sad story in return:
Last week, my workplace had a Mac fair, vendors show up with
products to sell us.  Apple kindly sent a fellow
to show all the good things about System 7.  I hung around
after the presentation to listen to the question asked.  A friend of
mine (possibly with ulterior motive) asked:

"How much RAM can in use in my IIcx under System 7?"

and I awaited the answers...

"You can use up to 128 MB of RAM." said the Apple representative...

(steam)

I had to say something... finally, I sorted of sputtered,
"But what about the old ROMs?"  ( I didn't want to say 'dirty'.)

I got a long, blank, and somewhat hostile look (my interpretation),
then he said, "Well, 24-bit ROMs only let you use 8 MB of RAM."

Disclaimer: maybe the guy didn't hear the original question, maybe
he was trying to field a lot of stuff - but this is a touchy subject,
you'd think he'd take greater care with a question oabout RAM use, just
in case he'd say something wrong... or maybe I'm expecting
too much.

Anyhow, it _is_ sorta funny, isn't it?

Thanks for any help with my original question!

Larry Samuels
samuels@nosc.mil

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/18/91)

In article <4112@nosc.NOSC.MIL> samuels@halibut.nosc.mil (Lawrence J.
Samuels) writes:
> I'm sorry to repeat this 'frequently-asked question' (hey, maybe
> we need out _own_ FAQ list! -) ), but why, oh why, is it
> that 24-bit machines, such as my IIcx, can 'use' only 8MB of
> physical RAM?  As we've all heard too many times, 2^24 = 16 MB, etc.,
> but in 24-bit mode, RAM above 8 MB can't be used, as I understand.

It's because addresses are used to access more than just RAM. Of the
"missing" 8 Mb, 1 Mb is used to access ROM, 1 Mb is used to access
hardware (sound chips, serial chips, etc.), and 1 Mb is assigned to each
of the NuBus slots.

That 6 Mb to the NuBus slots applies whether or not the slots are
occupied, and whether or not your particular Mac actually has 6 slots.
(Your IIcx has only three.) If you turn on VM, and cluster all your NuBus
cards in the slots farthest from the power supply, the system will let you
use those extra 1 Mb's for RAM, giving you more than 8 Mb of usable RAM.

I'm not sure about IIcx's in particular, but a Mac II with a single video
card in the far slot can access 13 Mb of RAM, *if* VM is turned on.

Hope this helps.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."