[comp.sys.mac.system] Rock Solid? HAH! :-) Help related bug

Turn balloon help on.  Put the pointer over one of the finder menus, and hold
it there just short of the time needed to bring the baloon up.  Pull the mouse
down into the desktop.  A help baloon flashes up: "This gives you information
about items in the Help Menu.  It is not available because the About help
Dialog or another dialog is already up".  As far as I can tell, this
(erroneous) balloon cannot be brought up correctly-- the About Help item never
says that.

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (06/18/91)

I cannot re-produce this bug:

Macintosh IIfx 8MB, 32-bit addressing mode, 30MB VM
Nothing strange extension-wise

Hmmm...

Steve Klingsporn
(You sure you're running all 7.0 final stuff (extensions too?))

In article <15537@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) writes:

>I cannot re-produce this bug:
>
>Macintosh IIfx 8MB, 32-bit addressing mode, 30MB VM
>Nothing strange extension-wise

I don't have 32-bit addressing mode, but I have reproduced it on a Mac II and
Mac SE, with and without VM, and with extensions disabled.  You probably can't
reproduce it on the IIfx because it's too damn fast :-).

>Steve Klingsporn
>(You sure you're running all 7.0 final stuff (extensions too?))

I re-initialized the system partition on the II before installing 7.0.  The SE
install was done on top of 6.05, using the installer-- the SE had never been
in contact with an earlier 7.0

rcbaem@rwa.urc.tue.nl (pooh 'Ernst' Mulder) (06/19/91)

(mac plus, 4Mb, System 7)

Hmm, I can repeat the bug. When you click on the desktop at the moment
the ghost-balloon appears it stays and you'll be able to read it.

Whe you move the trash when balloon help is on, you get a balloon in
the upper left corner of your schreen. This one also stays if you press
the mouse button soon enough.

pooh
--
 * Everything stated above is absolutely true.