[comp.sys.mac.system] Pasting icl8's work -- mostly...

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) (06/18/91)

Well unlike most people it seems...I'm having little trouble creating
and using custom icl8s for my stuff.  Operative words here is "little". :)

See if any of you wizards can figure these out:

When I tried to paste a custom icl8 on Disinfectant 2.4, it would always
replace the original icon with the generic application icon.  I tried
icl4 and ICN#.  Nada.  I even tried replacing the icon family with
ResEdit 2.1.  All that got me was "Resource map is inconsistent for this
type of operation [-199]".  Now, if I make an alias of Disinfectant, well
it works just fine and dandy.  Only when I try and paste a new icon onto
the original does it go wrong.

The other problem concerns MacEnvy.  I have this nice lttle icl8 I would like
to use, but when I paste it in, the colors are changed and some of the icon
is lost.  I changed the mask to the shape of the new icon, but I don't
see why the colors would change?

I know I know..this is nitpicking stuff, but when I tried to convince my
prof that System 7 is great, he replied, "This is all a bunch of crap.  I
try one simple operation, and not only does it take forever to do, but
it doesn't do it when it gets around to doing it!" (He hates the slowness).

So if ya have any clues on this please tell me!

(Oh, I tried this on Mac II and an SE...same results -- only tried the ICN#
on the SE however)

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.232642.10706@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
  | When I tried to paste a custom icl8 on Disinfectant 2.4, it would always
  | replace the original icon with the generic application icon.

Is the Application locked?

I know something similar frustrating happens when trying to add icons
to shared folders (so that when others log onto your machine they get
a neat icon.. it works.. it just takes a bit of patience if you've
already shared the folder and locked it :-))

  | The other problem concerns MacEnvy.  I have this nice lttle icl8 I would like
  | to use, but when I paste it in, the colors are changed and some of the icon
  | is lost.  I changed the mask to the shape of the new icon, but I don't
  | see why the colors would change?

If you have a label color assigned to the icon on the desktop (I think
my copy of MacEnvy came off the net with a green colored label),
that will distored or change the color of the icl8.  Try selecting
MacEnvy and setting the label to None.

Stu.

--
stui@avalon.uucp
stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com

In article <1991Jun17.232642.10706@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
>See if any of you wizards can figure these out:
>
>ResEdit 2.1.  All that got me was "Resource map is inconsistent for this
>type of operation [-199]".  Now, if I make an alias of Disinfectant, well
>it works just fine and dandy.  Only when I try and paste a new icon onto
>the original does it go wrong.

Easy.  Disinfectant protects itself by using a little-used feature of the
Resource Manager, read only resource maps.  (it is probably little used because
there is no way to set that attribute using resource manager routines.. if
you set it in memory, you can't write out the map!)

The alias's resource map, of course, is not read only.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.232642.10706@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:

>I know I know..this is nitpicking stuff, but when I tried to convince my
>prof that System 7 is great, he replied, "This is all a bunch of crap.  I
>try one simple operation, and not only does it take forever to do, but
>it doesn't do it when it gets around to doing it!" (He hates the slowness).

You tried to convince your prof that System 7 is great by showing him
how to colorize an icon?  Sheesh.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (06/19/91)

In article <18286@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

   In article <1991Jun17.232642.10706@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:

   >I know I know..this is nitpicking stuff, but when I tried to convince my
   >prof that System 7 is great, he replied, "This is all a bunch of crap.  I
   >try one simple operation, and not only does it take forever to do, but
   >it doesn't do it when it gets around to doing it!" (He hates the slowness).

   You tried to convince your prof that System 7 is great by showing him
   how to colorize an icon?  Sheesh.

Well, fair enough.  Have your prof colorize an icon in DOS while you
colorize an icon under System 7.  See who finishes first...  ;-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."