[comp.sys.mac.system] Unnecessary appletalk warning

hansm@dutecad.et.tudelft.nl (Hans Mulder) (06/19/91)

Everytime I reboot my mac+, I'll get a warning saying:

	A driver for the selected appletalk connection
	could not be found. The builtin localtalk port
	will be used instead.
					OK

I only have the builtin localtalk and have even installed the network
control-panel and selected localtalk, but the warning remains.

However, the Mac+ is not an original plus, but a Mac 128K who thinks
he/she is a plus because of a levco 2MB/SCSI board. System 7 also
thinks it is a plus and runs perfectly. Appletalk (over localtalk)
works like a charm.

Just that irritating warning during boot up. Do all plusses have this
or is this a small Mac128K compatibility problem.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

Hans Mulder
hansm@dutecah.et.tudelft.nl
(or hans@umunhum.stanford.edu)

rcbaem@rw6.urc.tue.nl (pooh 'Ernst' Mulder) (06/19/91)

In <1991Jun18.194421.15446@donau.et.tudelft.nl> hansm@dutecad.et.tudelft.nl (Hans Mulder) writes:
>Everytime I reboot my mac+, I'll get a warning saying:
>
>	A driver for the selected appletalk connection
>	could not be found. The builtin localtalk port
>	will be used instead.
>					OK
>
>However, the Mac+ is not an original plus, but a Mac 128K who thinks
>he/she is a plus because of a levco 2MB/SCSI board.

I have the same 'problem', and also actually have an upgraded 128K mac
(which now has System 7, 4Mb, SCSI 20Mb...)

THE PROBLEM is probably related to the 128K board having an OLD CLOCK
CHIP.  THE SOLUTION is to have the chip replaced with a newer clock
chip. This is an easy patch because the clock chip is a small 8-pin
IC.

The clock chip contains the parameter ram, and the AppleTalk settings
are apparently stored in locations not available in the old clock
chip.

pooh

--
 * Everything stated above is absolutely true.