[comp.sys.mac.system] system 7 and appletalk traffic

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) (06/19/91)

---
SGI's mac support people are all in a tizzy
over system 7's possible affect on appletalk
networks here.

I can see how heavy use of file-sharing would
increase traffic.  Are there any other legitimate
concerns?

Note that people have been using it for some
weeks now without the networks crashing &
burning as these people seem to think they will.

(I suspect that the real problem is that they
just can't be bothered to support it.  It's new
and different-- AIGH!)

---
cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com      C J Silverio/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"The absence of any corrective action year after year can only be explained
by bureaucratic rigidities and the abject worship of that bitch-goddess,
cost reduction."  --Ralph Nader, in Unsafe at Any Speed

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (06/19/91)

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) writes:

>SGI's mac support people are all in a tizzy over system 7's possible
>affect on appletalk networks here.
>
>I can see how heavy use of file-sharing would increase traffic. Are
>there any other legitimate concerns?

AFP traffic, while almost certainly the main cause of additional load,
is not going to be the only source of 7.0-related net load.

The PPCToolbox uses ADSP to transfer data over networks - once there
are more apps that talk to each other you will see more ADSP traffic
as well.

Also note that the ADSP driver in 7.0 (and the one shipped with AT 56
for System 6.x) has the throttleback feature built-in. The ADSP driver
monitors AppleTalk's collision stats; if they go up it sends less
intensively. At least this is the theory - I haven't tried it out
while watching with a sniffer.

Stephan Somogyi                   net.nerd                     MacUser