[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 6 <-> Sys 7: Is this OK??

bruceh@apd.mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) (06/18/91)

I understand that System 7.0 writes out the directory structure on
disks in a different way from in 6.0.  This suggests to me that
there may be problems trying to switch back to 6.0 after going to
7.0.  Is there anybody out there who has been switching between
system 7 and 6 and seen any problems?

Does this problem go away if you boot from a floppy disk that has
system 6 on it?  Are data files going to be findable?  and with no
damage?

A friend has Norton Utilities and he found that Disk Doctor doesn't
work in 7.0.  So then he went back to 6.0 and found that it didn't
work there anymore either because of the directory structure being
different.  This means going to System 7.0 may really be a one way
migration!

--Bruce Holm
(503) 685-1350

--
*** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
Bruce Holm                   PHONE:  (503) 685-7000

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (06/20/91)

bruceh@apd.mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>I understand that System 7.0 writes out the directory structure on
>disks in a different way from in 6.0.  This suggests to me that
>there may be problems trying to switch back to 6.0 after going to
>7.0.  Is there anybody out there who has been switching between
>system 7 and 6 and seen any problems?

The advice I've seen and been using is to actively rebuilding the
desktop when I return to system 6.X.  (hold down the option and apple
keys while the drive is mounting)  Then, next time you go back to system
7, it automatically rebuilds the desktop for sys. 7.  So far, I've had
no problems here.

However, when you go back to Sys 6, you will see a "trash folder" and
"Desktop folder".  Ignore them, and you're fine!

Jann "Finally taking the System 7 plunge" VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com