[comp.sys.mac.system] HPDeskWriter <--> Font problems

bourgeoi@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (06/18/91)

I'm a new user of an HP DeskWriter. The output is of very high quality but I
have a lot of troubles with fonts. Because I have to write in french, I need
capital letters with accents (like ^ on A or ` on E ). I've done a lot of tests
with Apple TrueType, and Adobe Type Manager. The printer print effectively the
capital letters with accent but those letters are always a bit smaller than the
other capital letters of the same size (like what we see on the screen).The HP
high quality fonts,included with the printer, resolves this problem for
standard fonts ( Courier, helvetica, Times, symbol) but the problem is unsolved
for all special fonts available in ATM. If I use a postscript printer the
output is perfect for any size of standard or exotic fonts...

Where is the problem: with the printer driver, in the screen font data, in the
mathematical outline font description...

Help me...!

In article <7513@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> bourgeoi@ireq.hydro.qc.ca writes:

>with Apple TrueType, and Adobe Type Manager. The printer print effectively the
>capital letters with accent but those letters are always a bit smaller than the
>other capital letters of the same size (like what we see on the screen).The HP
>high quality fonts,included with the printer, resolves this problem for
>standard fonts ( Courier, helvetica, Times, symbol) but the problem is unsolved
>for all special fonts available in ATM. If I use a postscript printer the
>output is perfect for any size of standard or exotic fonts...
>
>Where is the problem: with the printer driver, in the screen font data, in the
>mathematical outline font description...

Believe it or not, there is actually a system call to fix this problem for
TrueType fonts.  I suspect that the printer driver needs to make this call.
I can't speak for ATM.

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z0.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (06/20/91)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

MT> In article <7513@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca> bourgeoi@ireq.hydro.qc.ca writes:
    [...]
MT> Believe it or not, there is actually a system call to fix this problem for
MT> TrueType fonts.  I suspect that the printer driver needs to make this
MT> call.
MT> I can't speak for ATM.

    The original poster was referring to differences between Adobe Type 1
and DeskWriter-supplied fonts.

    Adobe fonts do not behave consistantly with respect to this attribute:

Helvetica, Times and Courier scale accented caps, so the total character height
is the same as an unaccented cap.

Palatino, New Century Schoolbook, Avant Gaurde, Zapf Chancery, ITC Bookman,
Helvetica Narrow and Stempel Schneidler do not scale accented caps, so
the capital letter alone is the same height as an normal cap.

   There does not appear to be any rational explanation of why there are
different formulas applied to Helvetica and Helvetica Narrow.

 * Origin:  (0:109/421.4218)