[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 Slowness: Printing

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (06/20/91)

I've had several suggestions about speeding up system
7. Most of them didn't apply (I didn't have virtual
memory turned on, etc.). I've increased the cache to
512 to see if that helps. The IIci has a separate video
board; using the onboard memory for video could, it was
suggested slow things down with system 7. Turning off file
sharing had little effect on speed, and it isn't acceptable
since I need to access the IIci over our network.

Someone asked me if I installed on a clean drive. I didn't,
but I had to reinstall after removing my old system since
I was getting results which looked like a corrupted system
file. I doubt that the disk is fragmented since I recently
defragmented it before upgrading to system 7. I won't be
able to do that again until SUM II comes out with a new
version.

However, the most annoying thing is the slowness in printing.
I sent two similar simple text documents to our laserprinter.
One from my Mac II running 6.0.4 took 20 seconds to begin
printing. One from our IIci running system 7 took 45 seconds
to begin printing. Assuming that the printer processing time
is roughly constant, that means that system 7 is taking 25
seconds longer to get the file off. Both are printing in the
background. Presumably the difference would have been even
greater with system 7 on the II and system 6.0.4 on the IIci.

Did Apple rush to get system 7 out before optimizing its
performance? If not, can anyone explain what is going on
or, better yet, suggest a way to speed things up? Not many
of us paid $100 for system 7 to turn our Macs into slugs.

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.175431.27097@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

>[stuff deleted]
>
> However, the most annoying thing is the slowness in printing.
> I sent two similar simple text documents to our laserprinter.
> One from my Mac II running 6.0.4 took 20 seconds to begin
> printing. One from our IIci running system 7 took 45 seconds
> to begin printing. Assuming that the printer processing time
> is roughly constant, that means that system 7 is taking 25
> seconds longer to get the file off. Both are printing in the
> background. Presumably the difference would have been even
> greater with system 7 on the II and system 6.0.4 on the IIci.

Compare the sizes of the spool files created.  Sys 7 is MASSIVE.  I
recently did a test.  A three (3) line file with three fonts: NewYork,
Times, & New Century (Word 4.00b).  The postscript file generated was 603K

Ignoring other effects, this will take longer to send, particularly over
LocalTalk

What's the story Apple.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) (06/20/91)

Many of you have written about slow printing under the system 7.
After reading that even trivial print jobs produced "HUGE" print
jobs I tried it myself.   I typed about 20 characters in QUED/M
using Monaco 12.  I used the "PostScript file" option in the print
dialog and produced a 507K file.   I examined the contents of the
postscript file and have convinced myself that along with laserprinter
initialization routines there are the instructions and data for
downloading the true-type font set to the laserwriter.

I'm no postscript expert but if you will allow me to speculate out loud
then this is what I think is going on.

1.) I'm not hooked to a laserwriter.  The operating system cannot determine
    the state of the intended printer so it plays it safe and pre-appends
    the laser initialzation routines (these use to reside in the laser prep
    file of pre-system 7 systems.)  Furthermore, since I used a true-type
    font, the font descriptions are added, perhaps all of them.  Hence the
    postscript file is huge.

2.) If you send a job to a laserwriter that has just been powered up or
    the previous job was sent by a cpu using pre-system 7 print drivers,
    then new initialization data and true-type font descriptions will be
    pre-appended to your job causing you delay.

3.) This "first-job" overhead seems to be about 500-600K.  This will
    be very noticeable on the lower power Macs, less so on those with
    more zip.

    print jobs "ALL" have the prep data added.  Previously, with the proper
    keyboard grip the user could cause or prevent the laser prep file from
    being pre-appended to the postscript file.  Perhaps the truetype fonts
    will always be added as well. (FYI Laser prep data is about 22 Kbytes,
    True-Type fonts appear to total 600K roughly).

5.) I believe that those of you experiencing the slow printing problem
    under system 7 are having problems because your files are huge and
    that they are huge for the reasons presented above.  This should be
    normal behaviour for the first system 7 print job that a printer accepts.
    Subsequent print jobs should then process in a much speedier fashion
    since the printer will now already contain initialization and font
    data.  Perhaps someone who has been experiencing this problem could
    send the same print job twice and report back here to the net their
    results.

----
Matt