[comp.sys.mac.system] Why can't switching applications work ?

chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) (06/18/91)

Hi there,
	 I seem to have trouble getting the Extensions 'JustClick' and
'SwitchApp' to work with FileSharing On.  Is there fundamental problem
that can not be solved or is it that no one has noticed this before.
	The problem is that I can click the little ICON in the top right
hand coner of the screen and get the old style application change, but
as soon as it hits the Finder it stops.  (It can be 'cured' by switching
off file sharing, but this doesn't help much at work :-()
	Any ideas ?
						Michael.
\    Michael Antolovich in sunny North Queensland (where it's bloody hot!)    /
 \                         chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au                            /
  \_________________________________________________________________________/

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.054809.8797@marlin.jcu.edu.au> chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>Hi there,
>	 I seem to have trouble getting the Extensions 'JustClick' and
>'SwitchApp' to work with FileSharing On.  Is there fundamental problem
>that can not be solved or is it that no one has noticed this before.
>	The problem is that I can click the little ICON in the top right
>hand coner of the screen and get the old style application change, but
>as soon as it hits the Finder it stops.  (It can be 'cured' by switching
>off file sharing, but this doesn't help much at work :-()

The exact same thing happens to me. I noticed something similar with
!MultiFinder (another INIT that does something like this), and tracked
it down to improper error handling in calls to the Process Manager. It's
possible that Just Click is having the same problem.

I'm not sure if this is a bona-fide workaround or not, but it seems
that if I cycle through all my open apps via the Process menu first,
Just Click will then work.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/20/91)

In article <54123@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <1991Jun18.054809.8797@marlin.jcu.edu.au> chma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Michael Antolovich) writes:
>>Hi there,
>>	 I seem to have trouble getting the Extensions 'JustClick' and
>>'SwitchApp' to work with FileSharing On.  Is there fundamental problem
>>that can not be solved or is it that no one has noticed this before.
>
>The exact same thing happens to me. I noticed something similar with
>!MultiFinder (another INIT that does something like this), and tracked
>it down to improper error handling in calls to the Process Manager. It's
>possible that Just Click is having the same problem.
>
>Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.

I noticed that the recently posted "Switch INIT" just had a second
release (1.0.1) via comp.binaries.macintosh.  My quick perusal of the
release notes showed a comment to the effect that it now works when File
Sharing is on.  Looks like someone else spotted this too :)

Can we expect Dean to release an update?  With an ICON this time?
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |