[comp.sys.mac.system] HELP ! Error code -97 in system 7

chrish@chaos.labs.tek.com (Chris Hubbard;627-2660) (06/18/91)

I am trying to run a Desk Accessory and I receive a dialog box saying
that error -97 has occured.  I look up this in my system error codes DA
(which it works fine), and it says that the AppleTalk port is in use.

The machine in question is an SE/30 with 5 meg of ram.

Has anybody had this problem before ?

Thanks for any replies,

Chris

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (06/19/91)

I get error -97 with DA's with SUM Partition going (known to be 7.0-hostile).

What this has to do with a port in use is beyond me.

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

chrish@chaos.labs.tek.com (Chris Hubbard;627-2660) (06/20/91)

Hello,

After Posting my original article,  I received a response
asking if I was using Sum Partition Init.  I was and that was
the problem.  I had not heard that sum was dangereous to
system 7.  Thanks for the responses.

BTW, does anybody know why their was a DRVR conflict with
Sum Partition Init and the DAs?  Anyone at Symantec want
to hazard a guess?

Chris

In article <1838@crl.LABS.TEK.COM> chrish@crl.labs.tek.com writes:
>Hello,
>
>After Posting my original article,  I received a response
>asking if I was using Sum Partition Init.  I was and that was
>the problem.  I had not heard that sum was dangereous to
>system 7.  Thanks for the responses.
>
>BTW, does anybody know why their was a DRVR conflict with
>Sum Partition Init and the DAs?  Anyone at Symantec want
>to hazard a guess?

I'm not from Symantec, but the reason is that SUM tries to put its partitioning
driver in the first available desk accessory slot.  Under 7.0, with no
DAs in the System file, it puts its driver in the first slot.  Most desk
accessories under system 7.0 also try to use this slot (they don't conflict
because they are in different parititions), and thus they fail.  It is possible
to patch SUM partition to use a different slot.  (sorry, don't have the patch
with me at the moment)