[comp.sys.mac.system] Find

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (06/20/91)

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>My own experience (on a IIfx) is that bringing the Control Panels
>folder to the front and opening it is faster than running the old
>Control Panel DA under System 6.

I've found the same, on both a II and a IIfx.

>I think the ability to put a folder in the Apple Menu Items folder and
>have it brought to the front and opened is marvelous, intuitive, and
>consistent; I hate going back to System 6 now.  A pox on hierarchical
>menus; aliases are a much better solution.

Gack. Hierarchical menus forever! (Actually, "the option of hierarchical
menus forever" --- it's definitely a user-preference thing).

>(Speaking of improvements: the "Find" command in the Finder is
>insanely great.  It works *exactly* as I've always wanted all these
>"Find File" DAs to work.  Kudos to the human interface folks at Apple
>for making all the right decisions.)

One annoyance: I _always_ (99% of the time) want "More Choices". I'd
prefer that Find remember the choices setting, or at least of the option
of remembering it...

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1991 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (06/21/91)

I liked the old "Find File" command on the mac.  So I just copied it
out of an old system 6.0 file.  It seems to work fine under system
7.0.

Don Gillies - gillies@cs.uiuc.edu - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign