[comp.sys.mac.system] New font suitcases under System 7

bgl6000@zeus.tamu.edu (LEMOINE, BRETT GAVIN) (06/18/91)

Does anyone know how to create a new font suitcase under system 7?
I've been keeping an almost empty suitcase to duplicate when I need
one, but this seems like a 'quick-fix'.  Any ideas?

}-IvArch->	bgl6000@zeus.tamu.edu

Opinions? Who has opinions?

brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) (06/19/91)

In <17483@helios.TAMU.EDU>,  bgl6000@zeus.tamu.edu (LEMOINE, BRETT GAVIN)
asks

> Does anyone know how to create a new font suitcase under system 7?
> I've been keeping an almost empty suitcase to duplicate when I need
> one, but this seems like a 'quick-fix'.  Any ideas?

That's one way.  The other is to use Font/DA Mover 4.1, which doesn't come
with System 7 but does come with TrueType for System 6.0.7. Font/DA Mover
3.8 can also be used -- just for creating a new suitcase, as it doesn't
know about TrueType -- but Finder 7.0 won't launch 3.8 because it's
obsolete; another means of launching it must be used.

--
brecher@btr.com (Steve Brecher)

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (06/20/91)

In article <3109@public.BTR.COM> brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:

>In <17483@helios.TAMU.EDU>,  bgl6000@zeus.tamu.edu (LEMOINE, BRETT GAVIN)
>asks

>> Does anyone know how to create a new font suitcase under system 7?
>> I've been keeping an almost empty suitcase to duplicate when I need
>> one, but this seems like a 'quick-fix'.  Any ideas?

>That's one way.  The other is to use Font/DA Mover 4.1, which doesn't come

Of course, keeping F/DA Mover around will take up more room than an
empty suitcase.  In addition, launching it will be slower than
duplicating a file.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/20/91)

 francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
> In article <3109@public.BTR.COM>
             brecher@public.BTR.COM (Steve Brecher) writes:

> >  bgl6000@zeus.tamu.edu (LEMOINE, BRETT GAVIN) asks:
> >> Does anyone know how to create a new font suitcase under system 7?
> >> I've been keeping an almost empty suitcase to duplicate when I need
> >> one, but this seems like a 'quick-fix'.  Any ideas?
>
> >That's one way.  The other is to use Font/DA Mover 4.1, which doesn't come
>
> Of course, keeping F/DA Mover around will take up more room than an
> empty suitcase.  In addition, launching it will be slower than
> duplicating a file.

Note that Font/DA mover also comes in handy for other situations, such as
installing fonts and DA's in an application (or removing them).  Not many
people need to do that, of course, but some people will.
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

rae@alias.com (Reid Ellis) (06/21/91)

I found it too restrictive that only fonts can go in Font Suitcases
and only desk accessories can go in DA Suitcases, and sounds don't
seem to go anywhere.

So what I like to do is to use "System Suitcases", which are basically
empty system files created with ResEdit [or whatever]: I just create a
new file with type=zsys, creator=MACS.  Now I have a file openable by
the finder in which I can put fonts, sounds and keyboard layouts to my
heart's content..

						Reid
--
Reid Ellis