[comp.sys.mac.system] Memory wall

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/22/91)

Setup: Mac SE, 4M memory, Sys 7.0, not too many INIT's

I seem to sometimes get a small wall in my memory. When going into the
About this Macintosh window, sometimes the memory is fragmented (as
evidenced by the largest available block being much smaller than what
is left when you add up everything in the box), but I am only running
Finder. It looks like someone is leaving a block of memory stuck
somewhere in the middle of my free space and it is not getting
released. But it can't be an application, since there are none running,
and when an app exits, it takes it's heap with it. So where is this
wall coming from?  I have Macsbug, so if someone tells me what to look
for, I will be perfectly willing to walk through all 4 Meg looking for
this silly thing.

Thanks,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.204929.10138@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes, among other things:
>I seem to sometimes get a small wall in my memory. When going into the
>About this Macintosh window, sometimes the memory is fragmented (as
>evidenced by the largest available block being much smaller than what
>is left when you add up everything in the box), but I am only running
>Finder. It looks like someone is leaving a block of memory stuck
>somewhere in the middle of my free space and it is not getting
>released. But it can't be an application, since there are none running,
>and when an app exits, it takes it's heap with it. So where is this
>wall coming from?  I have Macsbug, so if someone tells me what to look
>for, I will be perfectly willing to walk through all 4 Meg looking for
>this silly thing.

My bet is that it was the system that caused the fragmentation.  One of the
times, it expanded its heap while you were running applications and fragmented
the memory that would be available after the applications were quit.

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.6  *********************
*                                     |                                     *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |   It's hard to look cool with your  *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   arm Super-Glued to your forehead  *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu (Jeff Keegan) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.204929.10138@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>Setup: Mac SE, 4M memory, Sys 7.0, not too many INIT's
>
>I seem to sometimes get a small wall in my memory. When going into the

>Finder. It looks like someone is leaving a block of memory stuck
>somewhere in the middle of my free space and it is not getting
>released. But it can't be an application, since there are none running,
>and when an app exits, it takes it's heap with it. So where is this
>wall coming from?  I have Macsbug, so if someone tells me what to look
>for, I will be perfectly willing to walk through all 4 Meg looking for
>this silly thing.
>
>Thanks,
>pr
>--
>Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
>Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC
>System manager - Cognitive Science Group, Beckman Institute, UIUC
>Internet/ARPAnet/EDUnet  : resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu
>BITNET (if no other way) : FREE0285@UIUCVMD

I've witnessed this same behavior on my 8 meg machine as well. A previous
message suggests it may be the system software, and I agree, but I was
wondering if it could also be a cdev or DA?  Since they are called by the
Finder, would they not have a better chance to leave locked memory blocks
lying around?   Is the cleanup of the Application heap in applications now
attempted in some form on these finder-related operations?

..Jeff Keegan

| Jeff Keegan                | I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed |
| jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu   | A wound that will not heal                     |
|----------------------------| A heart that cannot feel                       |
| This space intentionally   | Hoping that the horror will receed             |
| left blank                 | Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed  -RUSH |