[comp.sys.mac.system] Japanese System 7?

nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) (06/22/91)

Does anyone know where to get the Japanese script system for System 7, or if
one is even available?  I don't need a Japanese Finder, just the ability to
type stuff in Japanese.  If there isn't a normal one available yet, is it
possible for me to roll my own?  I have the Japanese 6.0.7.

Thanks,
Chris
nebel@wam.umd.edu

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun21.215848.7449@wam.umd.edu> nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) writes:
 > Does anyone know where to get the Japanese script system for System 7, or if
 > one is even available?  I don't need a Japanese Finder, just the ability to
 > type stuff in Japanese.  If there isn't a normal one available yet, is it
 > possible for me to roll my own?  I have the Japanese 6.0.7.

Oh, Japanese system 7,....
We (Japanese in Japan) have heard KanjiTalk 7 will not deliver at
least until begin of '92.

  We Japanese always doubt why Apple (and Apple Japan) takes so long
time to localize US OS to Japanese. I guess, because the (Apple in
USA) never mind the coding easy to localize kanji system including
Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc. So Apple Japan has to rewrite
extensively for kanji-localize. Totally we don't have "EasyAccess",
"CloseView" localized yet! MultiFinder & 32-QD have localized 6.0.7
first, but upgrade kit for 6.0.7 was shipped end of March '91 effectively.
Looong time to wait.

  In a Japanese BBS, there is a project (ah, project...) to patch
6.0.7's KanjiTalk cdev for system 7 USA. It seems to go well. But if
you want it, you might take user ID for the BBS.

  Another solution: SweetJAM version 4.5.7. This is a init to modify
US system to speack Japanese. I now am using it. Relatively poor FEP
(kanji input method program), but usable. I signed my name by Kanji
into Solarian II by SweetJAM system. It isn't work well under
KanjiTalk for input.
   I don't know Japanese Software in USA. So I can't say availability
of SweetJAM in USA.

Masato Ogawa					Sony corp.

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp				Tokyo, Japan